Boating in the Rain

A conversation with DanielH got me thinking about the rain... Nowadays when it rains, we immediately frown and think about traffic jams. When I was little, the rain was much more welcome. During the monsoon period in the East Coast, the rains would come frequently. It would be cool and I remember that my siblings and I would take the chance to slip into yukata-like robes that my mum sewed. Sometimes, when the rain let up a little, we would wear clogs and venture out onto the grass (the amazing smell of rain on the grass), purposely stepping into the puddles. And most of the time, the rains would cause flash floods. My old house had the front door cemented up a bit to avoid flood waters from flowing in. However, the toilet would still get flooded and the poo would escape their dark prison. ;). To pass the time, my siblings and I would fold paper boats out of waxed paper and see them float off. A constant source of entertainment for us. And during the long drives to Teluk Intan from Kuantan (a good seven hours navigating the trunk roads), the rain would also keep me occupied. I would be lying down on the seat, watching how the droplets of water combine and flow down the window... and in the process gather more droplets. Even the windscreen wiper was interesting. Amazing what stories my mind could cook up seeing the water being wiped off the glass. The squeeze of boredom! Haha. So when you hear the pitter-patter of the rain on your window, try to relive your childhood moments and share what comes to mind.

Comments

Twilight Man said…
What a sweet and clever childhood you had using waxed paper!! No wonder all my boats sank like Titanic in the Songkhla floods! Omph!
the viennamese said…
Omg watching water droplets combine and flow down! That brings back so many memories!! I wonder when did I stop doing that. Hmm...
Anonymous said…
Its nice to be young with no worries...
fufu said…
damn it's raining here everyday too >< dislike
Skyhawk said…
This has brought back my childhood memories during rain...I love rain...
Mr.D said…
when it rains i think of my bed.

nice post.
Medie007 said…
one thing that i noticed driving in the rain when i was young, the rain drops sort of flow in a straight line at the side window, horizontally, as if they were dancing to the speed.
Gratitude said…
I still love watching those droplets. I love the mushroomy smell after the rain.
+Ant+
J said…
I miss my granny's place when I was 5 or 6... Floods were frequent enough. Once my cousins and me were forced upstairs because the water levels were rising.... Ah, sweet gay days!!!
William said…
@Twi:
Watching it sink is also fun!

@Vin:
Haha. It's cool right? Kinda like meteors.

@Anon:
No more...

@Fufu:
Haha. You want more sun?

@SkyH:
I don't have the experience of playing football in the rain though. XD

@MrD:
Haha. And your comforter.

@Medie:
Ah.. the effect of the wind.

@Grat:
Mushroomy? Interesting adjective to use.

@Hdaran:
Flee upstairs! That's quite serious.
nicky05 said…
Need someone to hug when is raining seasons...hahaha
jun said…
oh, i love raining days! is kind of therapeutic for me.

Popular posts from this blog

Kensei

Osamu or Naoya?

Coat West Star II: Sho