Passport Purgatory

Passport Queue

The endemic phase was upon us, so it was time to renew our passports. In an attempt to make passport renewals easier, the immigration department launched an online passport renewal service. But in our heart of hearts, we know that it would only work in a perfect world. Let me recount how horrid my experience was. The first step was the passport photo. I got mine done at photo studio in my neighbourhood, while KH insisted to use his smartphone. The photo guidelines in the website were actually quite pointless because the online cropping tool would settle everything. Had to do it a few times because the interface wasn't intuitive, but I finally go it settled. And this arrived in my inbox: 

Untuk makluman, permohonan pasport melalui myONLINE PASPORT di aplikasi web dengan no borang ENXXXXXXX telah TANGGUH/SIASATAN kerana CAP JARI TIDAK SAH..

Whopeee! Here's the chronology of events at Pejabat Imigresen Kuala Lumpur, near Publika:

0720 - RELA allowed vehicles into the compound. However, the early birds had parked along the main road and were already queueing outside the building.

0730 - RELA allowed people into the building. Started queueing on the first floor for a counter queue number. If you're lucky enough to get a LULUS status (probably less than 5% based on my observation), you get to join the priority queue for senior citizens and children. But that queue was slow too. Funny thing was, for such an intrinsic problem in the system, they did not bother to disseminate the information. When the officers felt like it, they would come out to shout. What a waste of everyone's time. 

(4 hours of wadafuqqqqqqqq, and watching people try to act dumb and cut queue. Also saw someone get hassled for taking photos of the long queue. Is it a secret now?)

1111 - Stuck at the front door after the priority queue was cleared. Priority queue stragglers were turned away. People far behind me probably queue up for nothing.

1130 - I was given a number and asked to return at 2pm.

(went to lunch at Senya, Publika)

1400 - Those with numbers from the morning session were allowed in. Some new numbers were also distributed.

1410 - Got my thumbprint verified (why they screwed up my thumbprint in the first place is anyone's guess).

1415 - Was told to wait 1 hour for collection. By that time, I was drained. 

(I had to leave for a meeting)

1440 - Received collection email notification.

KH and I returned in the evening for collection (the application counters were closed). The officers at the counter were pushing passport covers at RM25 a piece claiming that the sensitive chip in the passport requires protection. I didn't get the sales pitch. With a passport in hand, we were free to fly again!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kensei

Osamu or Naoya?

Coat West Star II: Sho