Read After Me

Eye Test

Age has caught up with me. Ever since my 39th birthday, my vision had been deteriorating. I had begun to notice how annoyingly high the screen resolution of colleagues' laptops were. The lines of code were so cramped and tiny that I had stick my head to the screen, and look over my spectacles! Aiyoh, like uncle jor. Suffered for a year. Guess the least straw was when I couldn't read the bill at Pepo Pizza. The small text and the ambient light really gave me a hard time. A week later, I dropped by an optical shop at Aurora Place and got my eyes checked. During the eye test, my hair kept getting in my eyes, so I definitely had to arrange a visit to my hairstylist too. The results:

  • Near sightedness increased 50 in both eyes.
  • Astigmatism was reduced by 50 in one eye, so its all balanced now.
  • Reading power is 125!

With this, I had upgraded to multifocals (some call them progressives), something that allows me to see near, intermediate, and far. Unlike single power lenses, I was warned that the lens has a distortion zone at the side, so I would need to get used to it. Since the nature of my work has me staring at a laptop all day, the optician recommended me something that would be best for intermediate vision. Another recommendation was that I stick with my current frames. The idea was to reduce the number of variables so that I could better adapt to the new lens. Years ago, my mother made a pair, and she gave up on them pretty quickly. I don't plan to waste MYR1,000!

Comments

Jaded Jeremy said…
It takes a while to get used to it. I think I took about a week. Hope yours is quicker.
William said…
@JJ:
So far, so good. Just got retrain myself to look down, rather than look up. And to look directly at the object.

Popular posts from this blog

Kensei

Coat West Star II: Sho

Osamu or Naoya?