Rear Fissure

Cracked Rear Windscreen

MCO weekdays are pretty standard for me. Mornings would be spent at home, and by lunch time, I would drive over to my sister's house. Work would continue there until after dinner. Imagine my surprise when one evening, I discovered that the rear windscreen of SK's car was fully-cracked! When I listened carefully, I could still make out faint cracking sounds. Think the only thing holding it together was the tinting. What could have caused it? Don't think that anyone was cutting the grass that afternoon. Didn't even hear any kids playing outside. First thing I did was get the motor insurance policy from SK. Luckily she bought additional windscreen coverage. I tried calling AXA Affin, her underwriter, but it was past their operating hours. A quick check on Low Yatt forum revealed that I did not need to contact the underwriter to perform a claim. The panel workshop would settle everything. Found a list of AXA Affin's authorized workshops for windscreen replacement on their website. Two workshops were within 10 kilometers. I did a quick check of their Google Maps reviews and decided on Dr. Cermin which had a better rating. 

Replacing Rear Windscreen

The next day, I gave Dr. Cermin a call. Got a list of all the required documents (physical copies not required, just send in via What's App):

  1. Motor insurance policy.
  2. Owner's NRIC.
  3. Owner's driving license. 
  4. Vehicle ownership card.

Dr. Cermin is located along Jalan Besar, Seri Kembangan. Right beside the busy main road. When I  drove down the ramp, and got out of the car, I slammed the door a little hard, and the whole rear windscreen gave way. Oops. They recommended that I get the China OEM windscreen. Not original Nissan, but it came with tinting. In terms of warranty, one year for leakage, and five years for the tinting. Once I agreed, they immediately started work. All in all, the whole process took about ninety minutes with three persons working on it. For a week, I should not drive with the windows open as the seal would take about a week to fully dry up. The air flow might cause the whole rear windscreen to fly off. :S. I just filled in a couple of forms, and that was it (I wasn't even the owner of the car). Problem solved. 

Fixed Rear Windscreen

Comments

Jaded Jeremy said…
Wahhhh good ar the process. Streamlined.
William said…
@JJ:
Yes, very easy to claim.
Twilight Man said…
I have claimed windscreen 2-3 times and worth the insurance bought. So I could understand how easy.

I suspect her windscreen was cracked due to the intense heat inside and sudden temperature change outside. Another silly theory happened in KL many years ago when the mid day sun was like +40C and the cars drove into the heavy rain along Kesas Highway. Suddenly several cars had front or back windscreens cracked. I saw them screeching their brakes to stop at the roadsides.
William said…
Twi:
Both cracked while driving! That's scary.

Popular posts from this blog

Kensei

Osamu or Naoya?

Coat West Star II: Sho