CNY2020 : Scurrying Home

Offertory Couple

The second day of CNY fell on a Sunday, so we were at church for the second day in a row. From church, we immediately set out to Teluk Intan for a day trip. My body was creaming for coffee, so we made a short stop at one of the larger Shell stations along the North-South Highway for Costa. Truly an overpriced cup of coffee. Weak.

Two Queues

The moment we exited the highway at Sungkai, we saw a huge commotion by the side of the road. Loads of people of were stopping to have lunch at Nasi Bambu Sungai Klah. Heck, why not give it a try. My brother loves Malay food anyway. The place is like a huge mess hall. Although it's open air, the interior was super stuffy. Twin queues start right at the entrance. There's small table stacked with large stainless steel trays in between both lines. Mum and bro took the left queue, while I took the right queue.

Aneka Lauk

The right queue was for the grilled section. Among the specialties there were kambing salai buluh perindu, ayam percik, ayam nusantara, and ikan bakar. I chose grilled fish and chicken, paid, and went looking for mum and bro. When I found them, they had secured a table, but they did not get any food (the cooked food section)! I wasn't surprised because my mother would usually say no to everything. Didn't matter, bro and I went to get the rice at the third, inner queue. Got the signature nasi bambu, and the nasi bakar, which was much better in my opinion. I would have enjoyed the food more if it wasn't so darn hot, and if it was easier to find a table.

Nasi Bambu

Drove on and finally reached my paternal aunt's house. Two of my elder cousins were around, preparing lunch in the kitchen. Although we already ate, we were encouraged to eat more! I had two bowls of 'sour vegetables'. Later in the afternoon, my cousin sister arrived, and also another cousin brother. When the food was taken away, it was replaced by alcohol (beer, shoju, and whisky). Chatted long into the evening, blowing water with my cousins.

Cousin's Lunch

Departed from Teluk Intan at nearly 7 PM. Made a stop at Sungai Besar to meet my maternal cousin for dinner. In terms of choices, not many seafood restaurants were open (and those that were open were super crowded), and he is very particular about seafood being a fisherman. In the end, he chose Restoran Seafood Ah Hi, and ordered the delicious local catfish, together with some other dishes. Before we called it a night, he also passed us some fish from his recent catch. The drive back was very challenging because the road conditions were still bad due to the never-ending roadworks, and it was very dark. Thank goodness we arrived home safe and sound, without any incident.

Restoran Seafood Ah Hi

Fresh Catch

Comments

Twilight Man said…
I drank Costa only once and never again. Too expensive and not my liking.

I actually enjoy Malay dishes with rice more than our Chap Fun stalls. Maybe they taste like Thai dishes to me.
William said…
@Twi:
Chapfan dishes very typical one lo. Haha. Lei lei hui hui...

Popular posts from this blog

Kensei

Osamu or Naoya?

Coat West Star II: Sho