In and Out of Teluk Intan

East Coast Delicacies

A month before, received a wedding invitation from a cousin from my mother's side. My mother was amused that when he came, he didn't bother to call up whether we were home. When we picked up the invitation card from the letter box, mum was amused for a second time because she was addressed directly by her name. Rules, rules, rules. Anyway, the wedding was on a Sunday night, so we planned to go after church, and return on the night itself. SK tagged along. It was good to have another driver on such a journey. Before the long drive, we had lunch at Nyiru Cafe, the new name for Cafe Kesom. Food seemed similar. Nasi Kerabu was as good as I remembered it, but the Nasi Dagang sucks.

Tauhu Goreng

We made good time, and arrived at Teluk Intan during tea time. Made a stop at Alex Tea House, a random choice. The exterior was made to look like an old village house, with the entrance flanked by a pair of mulberry trees. The interior was very dark, and every time the door opened, a slash of sunlight would blind some of those sitting inside. We were there for our coffee fix, but they only had the instant pre-mix. It was past the lunch rush hour, they still enjoyed brisk business. Most ordered their stir-fried dishes. I must say that the fried lou shi fun looked good.

Interior

Also made a short trip to the Leaning Tower of Teluk Intan because SK had not visited it before. Took a few shots, got a cone of ice cream from a vendor, and left for my uncle's home. There was time for us to rest and shower before the banquet. The banquet was at Restoran Kok Thai, not far from my uncle's home. We arrived on time, but there wasn't anyone there to usher us. Those earlier than us didn't event know where to sit. The food was pretty good, and the portion was generous.  Been a long time since I saw sharks fin soup on the table. No alcohol for me as I was the designated driver. The emcee looked looked like a member of the triad. Chunky jewelry paired with a sports coat over a black mesh T. And not surprisingly, he provided the night's entertainment too. Dinner ended at around 10 PM, not too late for the drive back to KL.

Starter

Comments

Twilight Man said…
The name Teluk Intan always bring a tinge of sadness for me. My father's family grew up there and my ex boss was the MP of Teluk Intan who died in office.

I love that biscuit shop facing the clock tower! Nice stuffs!
William said…
@Derek:
Yes, Sharks fin.

@Twi:
Teluk Intan is the hometown of my parents.
I get my biscuit fix at Sin Joo Heong.

Popular posts from this blog

Kensei

Osamu or Naoya?

Coat West Star II: Sho