A Colourful Deepavali

Batu Caves I

Somewhere in an old photo album is a picture of me with my mum standing on the famous steps of Batu Caves. I was probably five or so, wearing a cute pair of bell bottoms (remind me to dig out that photo). Can't believe that it took me more than three decades to revisit the famous cave temple dedicated to the Hindu god Murugan. The temple committee's recent efforts to spruce up the place with a rainbow paintbrush finally managed to attract my attention. Mum and I didn't visit during Thaipusam, but chose Deepavali instead.

Lord Murugan I

Arrived there at around 9:30 AM with just a little traffic. Doesn't come close to the Thaipusam crowds. Getting parked in the compound was easy. Parked near the temple dedicated to Lord Hanuman, Hinduism's Sun Wukong. Many Indian families came dressed in new clothes (mostly matching outfits) to offer prayers during the Festival of Lights. The temple complex looked really cheerful with its multi-coloured hues. And the 140 foot statue of Lord Murugan looked splendid. At 72, mum conquered the 272 rainbow steps without too much trouble. Side note : If you want to ascend to the cave, don't wear short shorts, else you'll have to rent a scarf to cover your legs.

Chariot Horses

Let mum catch her breath for a while before exploring Temple Cave with its high ceiling, and natural sky light. Several shrines are found there, mostly thronged by migrant workers seeking blessings. Enjoyed the cool environment and I even was lucky enough to be shat upon by a pigeon.

Hill Cave View

Temple Cave Entrance

Temple Cave I

Oil Lamps

Photo Shoot

Indian Sweets

When we exited the temple, it was already lunch time. Found a restaurant specializing in East Coast Malay delicacies called Restoran Sri Bulan on Google Maps. Unfortunately, laksam was sold out, but we managed to try their nasi kerabu instead. Quite nice, but I would never purposely make a trip out to that part of town.

Nasi Kerabu

After sweating it out at Batu Caves, we headed to Jalan Ampang for some air-conditioning and shopping. Visited Robinsons @ Four Seasons, and Suria KLCC. While at Isetan, I was kinda shocked to find Chicken Dance on their playlist.

Deepavali 2018 II

Deepavali 2018 I

Before going home, we had rested our legs at Ra-ft Cafe, Binjai 8. Phew!

Stuffed Chicken Breast

Comments

Derek said…
I have never been to Batu Caves le

Popular posts from this blog

Kensei

Osamu or Naoya?

Coat West Star II: Sho