Reunion Raya 2018

Red Velvet

In case you missed it, I grew up in Kuantan. My early education was at a government school with very small percentage of Chinese students. I think there were only about twenty non-Malays in my age group. As a result, most of my friends were Malays. Just this year, I reconnected with most of my classmates. They added me into a What's App group and I was the only Chinese there. Don't get me wrong, I don't feel out of place at all. I grew up with them. Quite enjoyable to 'blow water' with them in a different context. The Malay context. Anyway, we had been talking about a reunion for ages, and it didn't materialize. Since it was Aidilfitri, the head girl took the lead and organized an open house! I went there straight after church and brought along several boxes of ais krim potong. Surely a hit with the kids.

Curry Puff

Not many of us came, but it was nice meeting the few key people that I remembered. Our host, the head girl had married wealthy husband. She lived in a beautiful house with three beautiful daughters. The head boy came too looking as cute as ever with his Japanese ancestry. The only Malay in the group who isn't married. Should I suspect something? His FB posts are mostly about ultra-marathons and pics of him in sweaty 2XU running tights. The rest still looked pretty much how I remembered them, just older and fatter. Haha. The ravages of age and the stress of parenting. The food was great with contributions from all who came. I really liked the head girl's red velvet and baked macaroni (her grandmother's recipe), something like a quiche. Bet it would be a long time before we meet again on such a scale.

Baked Macaroni

Comments

Twilight Man said…
Yummy! I could tell that quiche is delicious.

Popular posts from this blog

Kensei

Coat West Star II: Sho

Osamu or Naoya?