Halal-ness from the Land of Pigs

Herbs~ by williamnyk
Herbs~, swiped from williamnyk on Flickr.

Back to Saturday marketing with the POC out of the way. Just a short trip this time. Breakfast was had at the Happy Garden market where downed a couple of bowls of curry noodles with an extra helping of mint leaves and roast duck that we had bought. After sending my mum to my sister's place, I followed SK to meet her supplier at an unmarked factory lot in Puchong. Felt like we were collecting bags of heroin. On the way back, saw a familiar restaurant near the industrial area-- The Wok! I remember it being in Kota Damansara. As we stopped in front of the place, I immediately recognized the owner. The interior decoration was exactly how I remembered it. Woody and antique. Kinda like heritage preservation where the shop was moved piece by piece to the new location, or perhaps it was picked up and dropped in the new place. A fabulous leng gor with shades on his head took our order. Was impressed with our choice of perut ikan, sambal kacang botor and inche kabin. Asked whether we were Penangites (Penangites feel free to groan and complain). Loved the food, but I think the spicy stuff and the fried chicken eventually gave me a sore throat later than night. :(. Rested at home after that. In the evening, SK brought mum and I for a foodie trip in Shah Alam-- Islamic Mainland Chinese cuisine at Restoran Bei Ping. One would never have guessed that Shah Alam hid such a gem in the dark and quiet Section 15. The owner's from the PRC and the interior looked kinda frozen in time. Reminded me of restaurants in BSB.

The Wok

Soy Sauce Prawns

Soy Sauce King Steamed Fish

Stir-fried Lotus Root

Upon arrival, I went to use the loo. The collapsible PVC door was closed, but I gave it a push anyway just in case. It wasn't locked, so I gave it a further push. Lo and behold, I had a wonderful view of a hunk's flaccid, but hefty dick. Definitely golden shower wet dream material. A scream greeted me. I saw a girl's shocked face and she quickly shut the door. Thank goodness I did not catch a glimpse of anything that could have spoiled my appetite. Stunned, I walked back to the table wondering of the door lock was faulty or whether she forgot to lock it. Found out later that it was the latter. I let SK decide on what dishes to order, but I did have one little request, "Order the special stuff". Wanted to try the Peking duck or yam duck, but unfortunately we already had duck in the morning. What came to table was premium soy sauce prawns (the soy sauce was very fragrant and it came garnished with potato chips!), stir-fried lotus root with lily bulbs (a wonderfully light dish that came with pear and almond flakes), stir-fried kale with scallops and lastly house style steamed fish (another wonderful example of how good soy sauce can make a world of difference). Good stuff. Would definitely come back to try the other items. Overheard at the table beside mine. There were two iPads at the table:

"Is there any WIFI here? No? No?! What kind of place doesn't have WIFI at this day and age har?"

I don't know whether they came to eat or came to browse the net. Wonder if they ask the same question at roadside hawkers. Sheesh. Before going home, we went to Empire Subang for a spell. Didn't buy anything really. Sat down at Serai instead for banoffee pie, pavlova and a cappuccino. Heavenly. Surprisingly, I bumped into Jin there. He was just leaving his alumni gathering. Was so surprised to see someone with a name tag on his shirt waving at me. Thought it was a Jehovah Witness evangelist! Been years since I last saw him. Promised each other to have a gathering with some of the other guys, but that has yet to materialize (I'm such a lousy orgynizer). A whole day of rich foods... so guilty...

heels~

pavlova~

banofee pie~

Comments

Nick said…
Oh gosh! The dessert!!! The pavlova is something to crave for....
Twilight Man said…
You ate so much rich food yet stayed so thin. What is your secret?

I must try The Wok since I want to admire its doors and bite the Perut Ikan and Inchi Kabin. Such a rare find that even Little Penang does not serve that.
Vincent~ said…
*looks away* i think i am one of them who will complain abt lack of wifi.
hey in my defense, I don hav 3G.....
>_<
Jaded Jeremy said…
I love pavlova but hard to find one that's not sickly sweet.
William said…
@Nick:
Yummy!

@Twi:
The interior decoration is quite impressive.

@Vincent~:
You should get a data plan.

@JJ:
This is sweet, but not too sweet.

Popular posts from this blog

Kensei

Osamu or Naoya?

Coat West Star II: Sho