Finding Fuzhou

Failed Fuzhou
With Sunday Mass and Stations of the Cross done, SK, mum and I headed out to cari makan tengah hari. SK suggested Old Fuzhou, Damansara Kim. Obviously famous looking at the Sunday weekend crowd. Waited for a while before we were seated inside by the tai-tai-looking lady boss. Ordered two of their famous dishes-- red wine chicken and Fuzhou fish balls. Both failed me. I found the soup too watered-down for my liking. But one must admit that they use a better stock of chicken rather than the usual supermarket variety. The fishballs costed us MYR1.59 per piece and it was just of normal size. The texture was a disaster. Soft. 'Crumbles' in your mouth. :S. Perhaps that's the genuine Fuzhou style, but I'm not going back there again. Then we walked down the row of shops to "Above Treasures". A very interesting Christian gift shop. According to the woman manning it, the shop is affiliated with "Sweet Incense", a Christian group formed just 5 years ago. Lots of Jewish paraphanelia. Prawer shawls, menorah, items with Hebrew inscriptions, antelope horns, rainsticks, models of the Ark of the Covenant, and etc. Makes me wonder about their religious denomination. Seems a bit orthodox.

Then we went over to The Empire for some shopping. Checked out the Norwegian Food Fair there. Bought some freshly-baked wholemeal bread, canned salmon fillets and some pickled red herring. Mum bought a pair of cubic zirconia earrings, a pair of Skechers running shoes and a pair of Hush Puppies moccasins. Bundled it all up as her coming birthday present. Always a super challenge trying to figure out what to get her. Sis and Bro were relieved at my announcement that the shopping was done. Wakakaka.

P.S.: It's my brother's birthday today. Happy Birthday Gor!

Comments

Sam said…
that is obviously not authentic FuZhou food.. i am (half) FuZhou and i've been eating FuZhou food since i was like a baby or sumtin..
most of those places who claim its authentic are lying..look at all those Penang Fried Kuey Teow how many of it actually taste as good as those back in Penang..
J said…
Happy Birthday to your brother...
By the way, very tasteful choices for your mom...
savante said…
Come to my house la. I am Fuzhou.
Gratitude said…
The Fuzhou shop in Pudu should be to your liking. Each ball costs rm1.59? How odd!
+Ant+
Skyhawk said…
Fuzhou fishball is expensive at this price; moreover it was not tasty. Someone told me about that shop before, I hv not and will not try it now.
Derek said…
Very expensive le ... and not nice some more.
Danny said…
i always like fuzhou fishball... cos its fun biting n bursting the juice inside the ball :P
Anonymous said…
That group sounds more like some messianic zionist 'Christian' sect. Orthodox is definitely not the right description
Twilight Man said…
Happy Birthday Gor!!!!!!!!!!

Hey Food Guru, I am impressed you could tell it's not supermarket variety ayam! I guess my tongue is dead.
kidz said…
Its should be in China, u found it? (~lame~)
Makan...... Makan....... Makan.... saja.......... XD
I like fuzhou balls but those are def retarded ones.. and FREAKIN EXPENSIVE!! wtf...
William said…
@Sam:
Thanks for sharing. You've got a point. My mum cooks better. :P

@Hdaran:
Thanks!

@Savante:
Oh. I did not know. You know how to speak the language?

@Grat:
I was supposed to eat at a famous shop in Kuantan during my last trip back, but it was closed. Where in Pudu? MYR15.90 for 10 pieces.

@SkyH:
Opps... am I spoiling her business? XD

@Derek:
Upmarket area I guess.

@Anon:
Thanks for your feedback! I should have asked the lady more questions.

@Twi:
Lol. One can tell from the taste, texture and the bones.

@Kidz:
=_=

@Jon:
Hehe. Jangan jeles ya... :P. Yeah lo, quite mahal.
e e e... bola dah la cacat. buat ape nak jeles. nanti i pigi supermarket asia beli yang cantek ok? ambik gamba... ^^
William said…
@Jon:
Hahaha. Belilah. :P

Popular posts from this blog

Kensei

Osamu or Naoya?

Coat West Star II: Sho