Singapore Business II: Zoolander


collageSingZoo
Swiped from williamnyk.
Early Saturday morning, we dragged ourselves out of bed and headed for Singapore's Mandai Zoo. I was there during my last trip, but KH never did visit it all this time. Being a blood donor, KH got a free pair of tickets, so we made it a date. We invited Jeremy along as the official spotlight and photographer. Hehe. Was supposed to meet POD and Nic there, but we didn't see them until later as they started earlier and the crowds were really atrocious (school holidays, Great Singapore Sale and free tickets!). Nothing's changed in six months, but at least I visited the exhibits that I missed the last time due to exhaustion and rain, for example the reptile section and the African animals. KH was running around taking pictures of every animal while Jeremy and I followed closely behind. Some interesting sightings:
  1. Two Amy Winehouse wannabes were spotted at the Australian Outback section
  2. A woman dressed like a zebra was found roaming outside the zebra enclosure
  3. Giraffe skulls actually look like Menos Grande

The heat and humidity was really stifling and by 2:00pm, Nic and I were ready to give up. Fanned ourselves with any pamphlet we could get our hands on. We caught the bus to Ang Mo Kio and hung out a while at POD's place, watching Gigolo Wannabes. Dinner was at Mellben Seafood Catering where the queue starts as early as 5:30pm. We waited close to one hour (due to the slow cooking process and the crowd) and devoured some Otah (a bigger version of Otak-otak Muar) before the main dish of Butter Prawns, Cereal Crab and Crab Vermicelli came. Of all the dishes, I liked the Crab Vermicelli the most. The large crabs (costs around SGD55 per crab) were simmered in a milky soup (something like KL's Fish Head Vermicelli) using claypots and served with thick vermicelli. The crab meat was sweet and thick and went well with the creamy soup. However, with all things this rich, it is best to keep portions moderate.

After dinner, went to Ang Mo Kio Mall to get some Body Shop stuff for Apollo and KH went to the office for a while (poor thing). Walked around and POD regaled us with some tales of "wild days". Hehe. Jeremy couldn't find his tennis shoes there, so Jeremy and I called it a night and went home. My legs felt like they were floating by the time I plopped on Jeremy's chair. Felt like I had to peel the clothes off my back. Zzzzzzzzzzzzzz.....

collageMellben

P.S.: Had breakfast of soft-boiled eggs at Simei Food Court and I was shocked to find that it is eaten with dark soya sauce rather than light soya sauce! Eeeee....
P.P.S.: Lunch was over-priced Indian food at Forest Fare, Mandai Zoo.
P.P.P.S.: Tea was a vegetarian bento set at Ang Mo Kio (just found out it means Red Tomato?!) that had a very fragrant beancurd BKT.

Comments

Jaded Jeremy said…
"We invited Jeremy along as the official spotlight and photographer."

Bloody hell. I knew there's something wrong when KH had a change of heart and asked me to tag along.

"Nic and I were ready to give up. Fanned ourselves with any pamphlet we could get our hands on."

Nic was using my pseudo fan imported from KL. Deprived me of it. Bah.

"My legs felt like they were floating by the time I plopped on Jeremy's chair. Felt like I had to peel the clothes off my back. "

Could have given you foot massage. Could have peeled of your clothes ;-)
Janvier said…
Oh you reminded us about the eggs with dark soya sauce thing! We just added more pepper instead. :P
Cheryl said…
cute uncle: haiyo.... dun complaint la... free ma go lor :P

william: Dear having byk makanan sedap ya ....
Legolas said…
I don't like heat. It makes me really uncomfortable and irritable.
William said…
@JJ:
A free massage and I wasn't aware?!

@Janvier:
Pepper can't make up for it!

@Cheryl:
JJ paid for his own tix. :P

@Legs:
You're too used to China!
Imeku said…
Beware of what meat that you eat the the Mandai Zoo. It could be left over or whatsoever...
Yes, Singaporean eat half boiled eggs with thick soy sauce unlike Malaysian, you better learn to get used to it lor.

Popular posts from this blog

Kensei

Osamu or Naoya?

Coat West Star II: Sho