Exams, Books and Us

After a month of studying, I finally took my Microsoft exam at a training center at Amcorp Mall. It was quite stressful as I did not have much time to finish the syallabus and do the test questions. Had to resort to late nights and whipping out my laptop in the LRT. Not much chance to steal time at work too. Luckily I passed the exam, or else I would have burned MYR300 as I did not register for the second shot voucher (free retake). Having finished my test early, I roamed the secondhand bookshops while waiting for a lunch date with Janvier. The first shop I entered was typical-- books piled mile-high, the smell of dust and yellowing paper with a hint of dessicated silverfish. Found a book, but I deemed it too expensive. Walking out, I stumbled across BookXcess. Spacious. Clean. Plenty of new books at prices lower than that of the ancient archive I had exited from. Bought Anthony Swofford's "Exit A" for myself and "Material Girl" for SK at just MYR19.80! Why are the books so cheap?

We stole them.

The kid at the counter was trying to be funny. Seeing that I didn't laugh, he explained that they were surplus books from the publisher. I forgave him as he was kinda cute. Noon came and Janvier decided on a Japanese place called Ume-Tei. Rumoured to be owned by a Japanese chef and his Malaysian wife. I suspect that the wife was the no-nonsense woman taking the orders. Ordered an unagi omelette bento set and Janvier had their salmon battayaki bento set. Food was quite good at MYR22 and MYR19 respectively. Ever the alcoholic, he urged us share a small bottle of sake with him. Not bad really, but we had kinda let it go cold from our lively conversations on relationships, compatibility, family, friends and gossip. Rarely had the chance to talk to him like that and I feel that it makes me know him better. I light-headedly bade him farewell and swayed back to work...

Comments

Mr.D said…
Now where is that book store? I need to go there! Books so expensive lah at Popular.
Cheryl said…
Thanks dear! forgot to pay u also :P
Anonymous said…
Aix the conqueror would love to join your tete a tete session :)
Jaded Jeremy said…
Aiyoh, the response quite funny what. You should have played along ;-)

Drunk at work, eh? Tsk tsk.
Little Dove said…
Congrats on passing the exam. Time to celebrate?

Maybe the cute counter boy was flirting with you. ;p
William said…
@Darren:
Amcorp Mall lor...

@SK:
Gratis!

@JL:
Aix the Conqueror?

@JJ:
hic... hic... hic..

@LittleD:
Perhaps. :P
Janvier said…
We'll make it something regular to have sake ya? :P

Haha Amiable Aix didn't get to join our lunch session mah...

Popular posts from this blog

Kensei

Osamu or Naoya?

Coat West Star II: Sho