Mid-Autumn Calories

Note: This post is as stale as post-festival mooncakes with a 50% discount!

For some reason, mooncakes don't do it for me anymore. There is no craving. I used to love it. Pick at the fragrant egg yolk hidden in the sweet filling. Savouring each cholesterol-laden bite. Now, I normally only eat one piece (one eight of a mooncake) and down it with copious amounts of hot tea. It just shuts down my digestive system. Some kind of reflex action. Maybe because today's mooncakes are too rich. The paste too smooth (just like cakes, the moister it is, the more butter it contains, so the smoother the paste, the more oil was used) and sweet. And the ridiculous new flavours. Fusion. East meets West. Moon Goddess meets Courtney Love. It's just plain weird. I still would prefer the traditional varieties. Make mine mild and light. Like those agar-agar mooncakes. So far, the most novel mooncake I've had this year was a homemade maki-style orange-flavoured mooncake. Masyallah.

No caltrops nor mini yams this year. My mum, SK, HP and Khiam had joined a neighbourhood pot luck, but I had missed it due to work. But still, they ta pau-ed for me sting-ray curry, vienegar pork trotters, abacus seeds, roast duck and fried noodles. Woo hoo! Ater dinner, we went back to my place to "relive our childhood". Four grown ups lit some paper lanterns (still around, despise those battery-operated ones. But can you imagine that they sell plastic sticks now? I used to use bamboo!) and walked around the playground. Twirling our lanterns and stopping at the gazebo to light candles. We stayed there for a while until the mosquitos drove us indoors. Quite a fun night, but I guess things can never feel the same anymore. Some things should only be left as memories.

Hope everyone had a fun Mid Autumn Festival.

Comments

Anonymous said…
i had my old lanterns until last year :P
David The Man said…
I don't know where all my old lanterns go to. Some have been burnt to ashes, especially those paper lanterns (like the one shown on your blog), some of them just disappeared. I guess they were thrown away when we no longer play with them since we are grown up adults (coz we are no longer kids liao). Anyway, have a happy Mid-Autumn festival! Cheers!
savante said…
Orange flavoured mooncakes!? Eeee... :p
conan_cat said…
lol... the festival was like, last tuesday? :P well i stayed at home and rot, watched the kids downstairs playing the lanterns and memories of me running around wif my cousins burning leaves and playing lanterns just flashed back

but yeah, some things are better kept as memories, they are most beautiful there :)
daniel henry said…
i just don't feel it anymore... mmm... the world is changing... horror horor...
Ganymede said…
I haven't had my share of mooncakes... :(
Jason said…
I just had 2 mooncakes this year. And no lantern.
Will said…
I had mooncakes and green tea here in DC. No lanterns, though. We just waved a flashlight around. :P
William said…
@JL:
Where are they now?

@DavidTM:
Be young at heart!

@Savante:
Sedap tau... snow skin...

@ConanCat:
Little arsonist!

@DanielH:
Change, the only constant. So lame. :P

@QueerR: @Jason: @R2K:
Hehehehe.

@Will:
Fleshlight? :P

@Chris:
?

Popular posts from this blog

Kensei

Osamu or Naoya?

Coat West Star II: Sho