Hobo


hoboh5
Swiped from williamnyk.
Not the hobo yang kusut-masai, nor the Hokkien greeting, "How are you?", but actually the name of a province in China that is quite synonymous with the Hakka poeple. The dialect kinda sounds like an inaccurate version of Cantonese in my opinion, hence I get to understand bits and pieces of conversations. But due to the same reason, I find it difficult to speak, because it just goes against my Cantonese conditioning. Don't worry, I'm not doing a linguistics post here. If you're a returning visitior to my blog, you would know by now that this is yet another FOOD post. Tada! You either love me for it or hate me for it.

The restaurant this time is Restoran Ho Boh. Just opposite the road from Mee Jawa. The place serves "authentic" (I have no way to verify this) Hakka dishes and their specialty is the Lui Cha. For those of you who do not know, it's white rice with garnishing of dried prawns, leeks, dried tofu, peanuts, preserved vegetables, chives, long beans and etc. It comes with an accompanying soup of sweet basil leaves, mint leaves, sayur manis and tea. One is supposed to eat it banjir style. I love it.

I also tried their Hakka stuffed bean curd and gingered duck. Both were heavenly. The duck was stewed to perfection. The meat was so-so tender, you can even crunch the bones. The bean curd stuffing of pork was exceptionally fragrant with the aroma of salted fish. However, the place doesn't serve other trademark dish of the hakkas-- Stir-fried big intestine with pineapple and other fatty pork belly dishes! THe place is quite cozy. Marble and wooden furniture. Old style dish cupboards, cute children stools and even traditional Lui Cha preparation utensils. The price is fair.

At night, was out with some coursemates. We had steamboat at Ketam Steamboat, Bandar Puteri Puchong. Quite a nice place where you don't have to sweat it out over the hotpot as the place is fully-airconditioned and induction stoves are used instead of gas ones. No marketplace feel to it with just enough customers to make you feel that it's actually sedap, and little enough not make you suffocate. Really nice as it was raining heavily outside. Ended the night at Sweet Bean, Seri Petaling (the places there open up till 1am, Clay...). Nothing to shout about really. I ordered the Black Glutinous Rice + Tofu Fah duo. The former was too santan-y, the latter was congealed diabetes served in a bowl. Goodness.

It has really gotten harder and harder to get in touch with my ex-coursemates. I'll meet anyone of them regardless of number. By keeping groups small and simple, there is more meaningful conversation and I feel that any small interaction is big step towards keeping a healthy rapport. Sigh, from 700 freshies, 400 were my coursemates. Out of 400, 100 were from my department. Out of that 100, only 10 was in my clique. And now, I'm only left with 3. I hope to keep that precious 3.

hoboh3

hoboh2

Comments

Little Prince said…
it sure does sound like you love to eat...
Jason said…
liu cha!! my fav.. you gotta draw me a map or take me there now! gaarrrr.. cravings.. damn the cravings!
Janvier said…
You sure do go everywhere for the food :|

We favours pasta when we are in doubt over what to eat.
Ryan said…
I'm Hakka and I've never heard of Lui Cha. Either I'm a traitor to my heritage or the restaurant isn't so authentic after all.

It's ok, I don't mine the food posts! At least I know what to ask you to belanja me if I ever find myself in KL :P
William said…
@Daniel:
Of course... :D

@Paul:
Err... I'll try to explain.

@Jase:
Don't get lost now...

@Janvier:
Pasta with Pesto. I like.

@Ryan:
Har..... how can?! Sure sure.
Little Prince said…
ryan... i'm hakka... and this lui cha exist... it's green tea with rice... the taste... yucks... HAHAHAHA... well it's the mint they put in la that makes it... eeew... good diet meal tho...

Popular posts from this blog

Kensei

Osamu or Naoya?

Coat West Star II: Sho