Wandering Unc


HealthFairMap
Swiped from williamnyk.
My mother has 2 younger brothers and both of them are practical opposites. Uncle A is married and stays in Teluk Intan where he has a good bread and kuih-muih business going. Uncle B however, is quite a character. Truth be told, I've not seen him in more than a decade. He's quite an introvert and a man of few words. Very opiniated, but non-confrontational, so usually decides not to stick around. He's been wandering around for ages, nobody really knows where he is. Sometimes he just turns up, and leaves a couple of days later. He never likes to intrude, to impose. Trough a miracle of some sort, my mother actually managed to contact him. So, we set up a meeting with him as he was coming down to KL to have a look at the 3rd International Health Fair at PWTC.

On entering the venue, I was handed a brochure for feminine hygiene wash... It's weird, I don't remember coming in drag or wearing my "I have a vagina" T-shirt. The place was really crowded. Mostly pseudo-MLM companies peddling quick cures and naturopathic products, ranging from wheatgrass, music-therapy CDs to DIY colon-irrigation machines. Manoeuvering the place was hell, a practical gauntlet where everyone's trying to sell you something or shove some brochures into your hand. After the whole feminine wash fiasco, someone else handed me a brochure for weight-loss, like I have any weight to spare... Had some fun fooling round with some hair-care center girls with a free Japanese scalp massage thrown in while the elders were getting their bone density tests done.

Back to my uncle, it turns out that he's in Tangkak now working at a cooking gas distribution company after an 11-month stint in Bangkok. Also heard firsthand about his religion, something called "The Way of Heaven" (Tian Tao)-- an amalgam of Buddhism, Taoism, Confucianism, Christianity and Islam. In all his years of living alone, he had cropped up quite some number of health problems. At the fair, he tried out the services of a Chinese bone-setter (Tit-Ta). From the looks of it, they were hardly professional and looked inexperienced. Traditional konon, they copy chiropractic spinal manipulation techniques, but with none of the precise movements I see from certified chiropractors. Seems like they do more harm than good. In the meantime, saw an organic cooking demo. The cook was really lousy. She had to refer to her own cooking book for goodness sake.

Before we left, we attended a Life Yoga class by a Taiwanese instructor. Her version of Yoga is for the improvement of bone density through resistance. The movements are repetitious and really taxing on the muscles. "Pain today is to avoid pain tomorrow".
That's her motto. She kept on singling me out for my lack of endurance and flexibility. The woman compared my flexibility to a 62 year old man. Celaka.

My uncle stayed one night at my place and left the next afternoon. Don't know when I'll see him again, hope he'll get better soon and keep in touch.

HealthFairPpl

Comments

daniel henry said…
you attend weird events... hahaha. and actually i don't see my uncles or aunties also... and i don't even know who are they... mmm... and i don't feel all that bad... =)
nyonyapenang said…
that yoga lady didn't offer you to be her new demo assistant ah?
Anonymous said…
when it come to family/relatives... sometimes it's better to keep a distance from all..what i've learned..
1. You can never please ALL of them.
2. For 1 relative that's nice, there's always 2 who bitch about you.
3. You don't really need them in your life.
MrBunnyBan said…
*pssst* Feminine hygiene wash = girls give you a rub down? ;)

Health fair my foot.
William said…
@DHenry:
Weird? Hehe. I know my relatives but most of the time I don't know how to adress the more distant ones.

@NyonyaP:
She chose the 63yo uncle. *sobbing*

@Mel:
Yes, evil eyes, the black tongues, the backstabbers.

@Ban:
Where to rub leh? From your posts, kebelakangan ini, maybe you can use. *grin*

Popular posts from this blog

Kensei

Osamu or Naoya?

Coat West Star II: Sho