Du-Bye


Tekka Udon
Originally uploaded by williamnyk.
Had a farewell dinner for my colleague the other day as she was leaving for Dubai. Earlier in the day, some bosses already organized a farewell lunch for her as well. The lunch was predominantly non-halal as they were preparing her for the 'dry season' in Dubai. Enough to make you swear off meat for a month. Dinner was held at Matsuba, Desa Sri Hartamas. I ordered my usual, the Tekka Udon set-- Udon on ice; maguro maki; misc. sushi; misc. sashimi; and a salad. We were boisterous as usual. Lotsa gossiping and being nonsensical. At one point, we even whipped out our laptops for a Happy Tree Friends viewing. It was after dinner, so no worries about losing appetites, just perhaps concerns of keeping dinner down.

I hear that Dubai's a land of ridiculously-starred luxury hotels and a shopping paradise. The sales are genuine, especially for branded goods. I wonder if I can expect a souvenier from Hermes, Ermegenildo Zegna, Prada, Salvatore Ferragamo or Hugo Boss.......

Just a few days after that, we had a farewell lunch pulak. You could say that the dinner was a pre-farewell deal. Heh. Well, lunch was at Neway, One Utama. Yes, you may groan, more karaoke. Compared to Redbox, Neway gives a slightly better experience. The food is much better (taste and portion-wise). The software allows for fast forward (but is less user-friendly). Some rooms have attached bathrooms. The furnishing is classier. Another thing I have to say about the food is that the portions are obscenely large. The fish plate my colleague ordered looked like it took a whole piece of frozen dory to prepare. And it had at least two scoops of mashed potatoes on the side. You gastric juices try to find their way back into your stomach lining on sight of the dishes.

A colleague of mine once remarked that every other week, someone was either resigning, giving birth or leaving for another project. And with occasion, we'd treat it as an excuse to splurge during lunch. It isn't very healty for the body, and the wallet.

newayfood

PS: The title of this post actually rhymes with one of my previous posts. Vengelyne would likely remember...

Comments

thompsonboy said…
Happy Tree Friends during social outing - how geek is that? :P
Vengelyne said…
ROFLMAO. How could I forget you and your Gbuy lah? =P

Btw, I just got home from dinner at Xenri with the family. Great food, but pricey yet again... I think I'm heading to Starhill's Jap food next cause what we paid for tonite can get us pretty good deal there too, I think.
I need to hit up dubai some time, it looks incredible. Once the terrorism stuff dies down maybe?
William said…
@TBoy:
La, la, la, la, la, la, laaa.... la, la, la, la, la, la, la.... (HTF theme song) :P

@Venge:
I knew you'd remember. Try Gonbei at Starhill. Tell me the damage.

@Alex:
Terrorism in Dubai? Not too sure about that. But it is very posh.
ikanbilis said…
Dubai is one of the most safest place in the Middle East. I had 2 stopover in Dubai International Airport for flight transit (with Emirates) and both transit took 10 hours each. 7 long hours from KUL and another 4 hours to Cairo and 2 hours from Cairo > Dubai and 6 hours from Dubai > KUL. It was amazing and wonderful. generally its really warm but it seems just fine. not all stuff there are cheap, but some can go really expensive.

it's like Manhattan+Rodeo Drive, Beverly Hills for the Middle East. Nokia phones and others are available here at a really huge bargain. Gold are cheap as well as there is no workmanship fees. Overall, eventhough I did not stepped out from the airport, I had quite an experience there and I even have a friend from Dubai too. Dubai is simply wonderful and a really wonderful place to visit.
Anonymous said…
Hi Will

Du-bye, good one. ;P

You have an interesting blog here. I will be definitely come back ;P
savante said…
Always a reason to celebrate :) Eat something cheaper next time!
William said…
@IkanB:
Sounds nice. But nothing at the airport is ever really "cheap". My colleagues tell me the weather is nearly 40. Sweltering... As for terrorism, I don't there is a "safe" place. Just maybe not a target yet.

@Derek:
Hi. Thanks for visiting. ;)

@Savante:
It's not as expensive as Alexis. ;P

Popular posts from this blog

Kensei

Osamu or Naoya?

Coat West Star II: Sho