Aunty Fodder


pre-dinner
Originally uploaded by williamnyk.
Last weekend was a very busy couple of days. The day after the treasure hunt, I had go through another gruelling day at a charity dinner. My mother talked me into helping out. Had to get there by 3:00pm. My sister, bro-in-law, SK and HP also lended their hands. Upon reaching the venue, we found out that there's actually no *REAL* work to be done!? WTF?! Then why call for volunteers? Anyway, it turns out that the logistics were not smoothed out yet, so I bersabar je la.

We did a lot of standing around, being given the evil eye by some of the dinner committee members. Then we had some minor work putting brochures and contact forms on the 110 tables. Finished that in no time at all. Nobody gave us any instructions, so more loitering. SK tried to be proactive and got off with a scolding. So much for that. Pissed off, we decided to just lazed around.

Finally at 4:00pm, one of more organized of the dinner comittee gave us our tasks-- as ushers. We were given the seating arrangement guides that the other members so reluctantly wanted to show us earlier (It's very precious, you know!). I was then asked to put one copy of the guide on a rostrum like thing you see in hotels. My innocent remark got me flamed:
Me: The table guide is so confusing, should we even be publishing it here? Wouldn't it be better if they just ask the ushers?
Aunty 1: (Being VERY defensive) Of course they know how to read la. Eh, all our guests all EDUCATED one you know.
Me: (Felt like stranggling someone) ............

Guests didn't start streaming in until 6:30pm, so we stood around chatting again. And we got flamed yet again.
Aunty 2: Eh! Please don't stand around chatting and blocking the entrance.

Around 7:00pm, the crowd was large and as the entrance was narrow, bottlenecks appeared. We kena again.
Aunty 3: Eh! Please don't block the entrance. Disperse to the side. Why there so crowded!? See what's the problem.
Sigh, diorang pun 2X5, 5X2, blocking the way. Eiiii...

By 7:30pm, the VIPs had arrived (I was impressed by their punctuality). I was given another task-- as stagehand. I was supposed to push the rostrum in and out for the speakers. The Aunty for gave me the instructions treated me like an idiot. Macam cakap dengan budak tingkatan 3 (maybe because I still look like a form 3 student, indulge me to be perasan a while). I just muttered, "Yes, Yes, Yes, I understand, YESSS" in my most unsarcastic tome of voice.

As the night progressed, we got very busy. Had to moonlight as waiters. But the worst was the donation bit. They assigned me a very unruly kid to bring around collecting donations. That kid took the box and ran off expecting me to chase him around. By the time I caught him, he struggled and squirmed. Won't listen to me. Pelted me with ice cubes. I couldn't stand it, I took the box from the kid. End of headache. However, there was one little girl who was *VERY* co-operative, responsible and cute. I notified her that I would require her help at 8:30pm. At 7:45 or so, she went up to me to ask the time. Wondering if it was time for her to help. Then at 8:15, I saw her again, and she told me that she's helping to sell newspapers and requested that I remind her when I needed her for the donation bit. I was shocked. Just 5 years old... Her donation box was the most popular.

The night ended with a performance from John of Project Superstar. Slightly above average looks. Shorter than me (hah!). Average voice and stage personality. Saw his assistants pscyhing him backstage. Sai, em sai ah?. The funny thing was that into his second song, one of the dinner comittee members went up to the stage and he thought that she wanted a song request. As they finished whispering, he stood up and announced, "WHVXXXX", please remove your vehicle". BWAHAHAHA. Couldn't they have waited 5 minutes for that?! Pengz.

Went home by midnight. Legs and back was stiff. Work the next day. :'(.

dur-dinner

Comments

Vengelyne said…
Well I hope there were at least good eye candy there? *wink wink*
William said…
You gotta be kiddin'. The average age in the crowd is 50. Either that or underaged kids. :P

Popular posts from this blog

Kensei

Osamu or Naoya?

Coat West Star II: Sho