Terri-Yucky? No!

Ever since I mentioned my Teriyaki Chicken, it has been getting a lot of airtime on my blog recently for mysterious reasons. Jase wants. Eric wants it. KH wants it. On the other hand, only Robb was interested in the humble beginnings of my teriyaki chicken which I will mention briefly here:

(Heat waves in the air, signalling a flashback) 3 years ago, in Jakarta: The mundane diet (food court, fast food, food court, fast food, ad infinitum) my colleagues and I had to endure working over at Jakarta as lowly-paid migrant workers had forced us to cook on weekends just to keep our sanity and keep our arteries plaque free. So, every weekend, we'd all contribute in the kitchen by either cooking or cleaning up. On one fateful week, I decided to whip up my famous Teriyaki Chicken. Whole chicken drumsticks. Deboned. Marinated in light soy sauce, dark soy sauce and a generous helping of pepper. That's it (don't be disappointed that I didn't unveil my SECRET SAUCE, hehe). So, I put it to the flame. I don't know if the pan was too shallow, or the oil too hot, my dish was practically flambe-d halfway through frying. The flames went half way up to the cooker hood. A good way to lose eyebrows. It did end up a little burnt, but..... it sure as hell beats eating KFC! The end.

Such a let down, hor? Well, I recreated that dish again during the weekend, but with an ang moh twist-- rosemary, basil, oregano and thyme. Quite a nice way to tsuj up my old recipe. Deboning had me scrambling to rediscover my inner butcher. The pan at my sister's place was really annoying. Though it was Amway (think thousands of ringgit), it was bloody difficult to handle. The chicken kept getting stuck on the pan. Yes, I know a good carpenter shouldn't blame his tools, but I'm not a good carpenter. Hehe. Just look at my fried rice. Even made a herb sauce for it in case tak cukup rasa. My sister on the other hand made pizza!

With her trusty bread-maker and oven, she whipped up a stuffed crust pizza with mozarella, tomato puree, mixed herbs, 3 types of sausages, salami, button mushrooms, bell peppers and tomatoes. No rolling pin was available, so she used my water bottle on the dining table! It was fantastic. 4 of us finished 2 medium pizzas, 10 pieces of Yong Tau Fu, 4 whole teriyaki chicken drumsticks
and a wild rocket salad. All washed down with pomelo fizzy drink. Hehe. Sis is fired up the oven the day after too... coffee banana cake (with chocolate coating) !!!! and nasi lemak!!! Tee-hee...

I shall go back to the drawing board... thinking of incorporating some JD in my teriyaki chicken... XD

Pizza ala Lena

Lena's Coffee Banana Cake

Comments

zeng said…
omg! chi--chic--cken--nn?!
Anonymous said…
ok set...

lu tolong gua masak for house warming party ;)
nyonyapenang said…
ok set....gua invite myself over for jl's house-warming party. :D
Little Prince said…
... like i said... i'm so not tamak right... so... i also want this... LOL
Melvin Mah said…
let's play masak masak...!!!
William said…
@Zeng:
Welcome. Yes. CHICKEN. Hehe. You remind me of my colleague in Jakarta who can't eat chicken due to the anitbiotics in them. Gives her ulcers.

@JL:
Mana rumah?!

@NnyonyaP:
The more the merrier!

@Daniel:
Greedy!

@M5l:
Haha. Used to love doing that.

Popular posts from this blog

Kensei

Osamu or Naoya?

Coat West Star II: Sho