Eat, Swim, Eat

Fresh Produce by williamnyk
Fresh Produce, swiped from williamnyk on Flickr.

On Saturday, my wet market schedule was back on track but luckily a chunk of the normal market-goers were still out of town so I got a choice parking spot with ease. The pace was easy and mum didn't buy much as well. Noted that "Angry Birds" have invaded the mid-autumn items. MYR8 for a battery-operated lantern. Even paper lanterns cost MYR2 each. I remember when it just cost MYR0.50 for a medium-sized lantern. Inflation! and mooncakes from the usual manufactures cost MYR15-17 this year. That's obscene pricing in my opinion. And to overcome it, discounts of up to 30% are offered even BEFORE the festival. For breakfast, mum and I had soup noodles at one of the side lanes. So ching right? But we couldn't resist ordering a pair of curry chicken legs feet to go with them. Haha. Back home, I mostly surfed the net, read and watched "Fringe". Feeling like a couch potato, I decided to go for a swim. Just as I wanted to go out, SK appeared at my doorstep with KFC and sushi. I just took a bite out of the chicken thigh and reluctantly tore my eyes from the rest of the food. =_=. The pool was devoid of swimmers, so I could do my laps easily and disturb the peace by practising my amateurish freestyle and backstroke. A slight improvement on my part.

Mango & Noodles

SK had a hankering for Hokkien mee after hearing about a good place to eat it near Kuchai Lama. We practically had to guess where it was because the only hints we got from her beautician was-- "it's a place surrounded by a fence. There's a sign out front.". Like looking for a needle in a haystack. And yes, my boyfriend is a guy. But after scouring Google, we managed to come to the conclusion that the restaurant was 金绫记 at Old Klang Road, just before the Jalan Kuchai Lama junction. The Hokkien mee and wat tan hor we ordered were utterly rubbish. I had tasted much better at neighbourhood food courts. Both dishes somehow felt that something was missing. Like an arm or a leg. Don't bother. Also ordered large intestines with pineapple. Not bad. The only thing I was satisfied with was the pumpkin barley drink. Came piping hot and with the right consistency. Post-dinner was dessert at Jalan Kuchai Lama. Chose Dessert Go Go. Hard a hard time deciding what to eat. Finally settled for Mango with Noodles. The supposed noodles were actually milk pudding that was shaved into long strips. Good texture and not too chewy. The noodles were bland enough to go well with the mango puree. Do give it a try. And yeah, I negated my swim again. O_O.

Comments

J said…
When you say Hokkien mee, is it the black thingy that looks more like Char Ho Fan or the one with the soupy broth with shrimps and pork slices???

And the picture with the yellow cubes, were they the mangoes or the pineapples (the dessert or the intestine) ???
William said…
@Hdaran:
Fried noodles. I'm not from Penang.
Only mangoes in the dessert. And it isn't intestine!
Twilight Man said…
Of course I went to that Hokkien Mee shop when they newly opened. It tasted like shit.
Now I am more addicted to that Kuchai Lama Food Court after seeing your post. Their food has improved so much after a few months with faster service. I even went to their cheap karaoke a few times to croon. So shook la..
Janvier said…
"And yes, my boyfriend is a guy."?
William said…
@Twi:
I have not been to the food court since. Better food? What do you recommend?

@Janvier:
KH did not understand this too. It's the Cantonese phrase: "I know my mother is a woman". Stating the obvious.
Danny said…
haha .. id id what u did in the weekend too.. just minus the swim part...lol ;p
die la die la.. must lose weight asap.:(
William said…
@Danny:
You shake your booty so often le!!

@TBoy:
Haha. Yeah, feet! Thanks.

Popular posts from this blog

Kensei

Osamu or Naoya?

Coat West Star II: Sho