Digital Condom

Bloody hell. Just one time of unprotected sex with a USB stick and my laptop's virus test came back positive. And a very tenacious virus too. Very stubborn. I don't think Dynamo could have handled it.

Win32:Malware-Gen & Win32:Inject-XX

Symantec could not help me. It just managed to catch the spam e-mails that it was trying to send out from my lappie. The alerts were super annoying. At least 20 would pop-up at one time. Don't worry, I don't think anyone received any Rolex or pharmacy offers from me. A simple port scan showed that whenever my lappie was connected to a network, it would suppretitously make numerous connections to random SMTP servers on the internet. Ugh!

My colleague suggested that I install Avast. At least that managed to DETECT the virus, but I was not fully-cured. I would still need to deal with deleting the virus copies as they popped up. So hard to kill. I did several full scans (it bloody takes more than one night to scan the 2 million odd files on my lappie) across a span of two days the problems finally stopped after I did a round of Windows updates.

So do remember to protect yourself. Always take precautions as you never know what port that USB stick has been stuck in. This has been a community service message from moi...

Comments

Mr.D said…
this is what happens when u digital bareback.
Danny said…
hmm .. i need to learn hoe to protect myself more.. since i dun really know about I.T. ;p
Unknown said…
haha i am about to format my comp in 1 month time




[Jino] - A man's not a man unless he knows how to shoot
TZ said…
Use Apple product... you will not get any virus coz An Apple A Day, chase the Virus Away :p
Bengbeng said…
i got to b careful. thanks
William said…
@MrD:
LOL.

@Danny:
I'm sure there are IT guys in your class.

@Jino:
The best medicine!

@TZ:
Hahaha. No $$$.

@Beng2:
Be ever vigilant!
Jaded Jeremy said…
My office laptop also took 2 days to be cleared of virus. Strangely, it seem to be infected after Windows update. Hmmm
Little Dove said…
A very splendid article on using protection. ;)
Gratitude said…
@MrD ~ bareback? spoken like a true pro! lolz
+Ant+
Ash Godiva said…
you may try use kaspersky...up until now i don't have any virus problem since i'm using it...
Pike-chan said…
And don't simply poke the thumbdrive into any unknown USB port, that would be the best prevention..
William said…
@JJ:
Microsoft is up to no good! :P

@LittleD:
Hahahaha. :D

@CountA:
Too bad they use Jackie Chan as the spokesperson.

@Pikey:
Sigh. Sometimes no choice.
fufu said…
yeah thanks for reminding!! i will be extremely careful... i just bought my laptop last mth :)
Medie007 said…
i ingat apa digital condom can detect HIV straight away, lagila Evann go and post about HIV screening. -.-"
William said…
@Fufu:
Cool. What laptop did you buy?

@Medie:
Different type of virus la. :P

Popular posts from this blog

Kensei

Osamu or Naoya?

Coat West Star II: Sho