Deux Bombes

While I was out from the office, two of my colleagues dropped resignation letters on my boss' flabby lap. He was caught by surprise and immediately went into crisis mode. I must admit that it was impeccable timing as there's too little butter for too much bread at the moment. According to my colleagues, the pair of them had been behaving weirdly for the past weeks. Too many phone calls that needed to be picked up in private. One after another. Apparently both had job offers already. So, Fatty ushered them into the meeting room and tried his usual spiel on them. Brainwashing and planting the seeds of doubt and false hope. They weren't too impressed. So he kept on badgering them and even used my GM as a trump card. Somehow, my GM managed to convince them to stay quite to some of my colleagues' disappointment. It would have been a good lesson for Fatty. Something to rub in his face. Something to make him scramble and wipe that smirk off his face. Heard that the main reason for wanting to leave was money. But my GM did not specifically promise them a raise either. I wonder how long the inevitable can be delayed...

Their immediate supervisor (a peer of mine) was also subjected to the Flabby Mind Meld sessions. Thank goodness I was spared. He just talked to me a bit during a drive to a meeting in KL the next day.

Fatty: I don't get it. Would you be willing to jump to another job for just an increment of MYR500? At least MYR1000 la. After tax and EPF, nothing would be left!

Moi: A raise nonetheless.

Fatty: I wonder if they understand. It's like building a road. We all know that the engineers get paid much more than the roadbuilders. And of course the roadbuilders have to the hard work. Nobody is gonna pay a roadbuilder the engineer's salary. That fact won't change by changing to another company.

Moi: Since the work is just as hard, might as well get paid a little more for it.


And just so happened the topic on radio was about job hopping. The DJ was empathising with the employers and lambasting that employees should not be so rash and change jobs so easily. And Fatty was going "See! See!". Luckily we had reached the venue. No need to talk about it anymore. Ugh. I wonder if there are gonna be any more bumps on the long road.......

Comments

Pike-chan said…
Your fatty boss needs to learn it from my American managers about rewards and balance lifestyle at work. Ha ha ha ha.
from the employee's perspective, company loyalty is severely overrated, since the most loyal are also usually the most underpaid, and underappreciated.
Little Dove said…
It seemed that the employer has poor insight. It's pretty frustrating working with people like this. They will always think they are right.
Mr.D said…
seems like a stressful environment for work with people like that. why not u change also?
Danny said…
i was so happy to see my boss' face when i tendered last time..
the facial expression is just ... priceless...lol ;p
Unknown said…
people would stay if they are happy. and bosses shouldnt be kiamsiap to invest on talents ma...




[Jino] - A man's not a man unless he knows how to shoot
Gratitude said…
It's kaypo time! Quick quick, go and poke ur nosey at HR to check whether GM had secretly given them a raise and other perks. :P
+Ant+
said…
so u also fast fast do something la~ :P
nicky05 said…
All because the economy..:p
William said…
@Pikey:
I think it will take at least a few generations.

@Quick:
True! Companies reward the disloyal employees!

@LittleD:
Always "dead chicken trying to keep the lid off".

@MrD:
I know my way around. :P

@Danny:
Did you take a pic? :P

@Jino:
"If we need talent, we will hire from outside"

@Anton:
My HR very P&C one!!!

@L2:
I go join you. :P

@Nicky:
Faster graduate and join the rat race!!!

Popular posts from this blog

Kensei

Osamu or Naoya?

Coat West Star II: Sho