LNY 0: Be Reunited With Your Tummy

The run up to the Lunar New Year is always hectic. A flurry of activity. Days and days of braving wet markets... dragging heavy groceries, sloughing through concentrated market fluids, surviving massive jams and surviving elbowing aunties. Days and days of spring cleaning, with mum looking for every single menial chore imaginable to do. And things at work were also busy, just that I chose to ignore, but I know that will come back to bite me in the ass come the 22nd of the month when I get back to work. The culmination of all that? The Reunion Dinner!!! A quiet affair really. As usual, just mum, my brother and I. Twelve years since my late father joined us at the table, and sis was with her in-laws in Melaka. This year, the dining table served five-spice powder stewed duck (the shops had a shortage of the spices, crazy!), steamed herbal chicken, fried garoupa, roast pork (compliments of a neighbour), drunken prawns, lotus root soup and mixed vegetables. We washed the food down with a bottle of cab sauv.

Reunion Dinner: Dad

Reunion Dinner: Vegetables

Mum forgot to buy chilli sauce for the stewed duck, so she made her own. After grinding the chillies, she noticed that she was missing the limau kasturi, so she summoned my brother to buy 'em from a nearby convenience store. My brother being my brother, bought limau nipis instead! Not a total waste, I used them to make some hot honey lime juice to soothe frazzled throats. Anyway, I had to go out to pick up some carrot cake from mum's friend, so I used the opportunity to meet KH. Such a coincidence that he wore a matching jersey with me. Haha. He helped me hunt for the limau kasturi at Central Hypermarket. It was a success and after buying some keropok lekor for my bro, I sent him home. Post-dinner exercise involved mopping the floors and washing the car. :S. After all that, we were pooped. At midnight, the fireworks roared. But I was too tired to care. Sleep awaited...s

Reunion Dinner: Drunken Prawns

Comments

Little Dove said…
The food looks good. Your mom is a great cook.
You gonna have all the cholesterol on that last pic. Beware what you eat, because "every rose has hidden thorns on the stem". You know what I mean.
Mark said…
Wah, all that for just the 3 of you. Must've been some reunion dinner =)

Tentulah sleepy after all that XD
Danny said…
errr.. really a big feast horr? is that brown rice? at least thats healthy la..:))

luckily my family opt for a simple dinner..if not sure guilty gila one..lol ;p
William said…
@LittleD:
Hehe, she is!

@Mann:
My cholesterol is high no matter what I eat. :S

@Mark:
Hehe. Hachi hari bu!

@Danny:
That's actually siamese rice mixed with bario rice. No guilt! :P

@Medie:
It is Kat Chai.
Cheryl said…
forget not i joined for the reunion last year. a GREAT one for me, dear!
Gratitude said…
The carrot-cake-detour gave you a frazzled throat? :P
+Ant+

Popular posts from this blog

Kensei

Osamu or Naoya?

Coat West Star II: Sho