Gee Eleven

The first digital camera that I owned was the Canon A95. It was a partial birthday gift from SK and Jaz way back in 2005. SK would remember how difficult a choice it was. One year of R&D. She had nearly strangled me. Well, it was a very good choice. It had served me well over the years. Many happy moments and beautiful scenery were captured all over Malaysia, Thailand, Singapore, Indonesia and Australia. It had even made one trip to the camera hospital and emerged as good as new. But of late, my trusty camera had begun to show signs of old age. A type of macular degenration. The pictures come out dark and noisy. I suspect that the CCD is dying. With restarts, it will regain it's "sight", but after a few shots, it reverses back to its semi-blind state. :(. So sad right? So I made a decision to get a new camera. A successor to my trusty A95.

After years and years of using the articulating LCD to frame my shots, I find myself handicapped with "normal" digital cameras. It just feels weird. So, this requirement was a curse and blessing in disguise. The bad thing is that my choices were limited to the Canon G11 and the Canon SX20IS. The good news is that I only had to decide between two models. Being the fickle and indecisive Libran, it was probably for the best. I asked around and did some research. The SX20 uses AA batteries and has 20X zoom! Unfortunately, its quite unwieldly and plastic-ky. On the other hand, the G11 is more compact and packs more punch, but the it's pricier and has only 5X zoom. Asked the resident expert, Apollo and got the following remark:

Apollo: The G11 is so ugly!

Moi: But is there anything wrong with it? Functionally?

Apollo: But it's sooooo ugly!


Well, I got the G11 anyway... and I love it! It's so smart. It can decide everything for me. I don't even have to tell it to go to macro mode. It is a little bulkier and uses a lithium ion battery, but I can live with that. A big thank you to SK, Jaz and KH for forking out the cash!!! Muacks, muacks, MUACKS!. And so, I have received my super early 30th (such a dirty number) birthday present from SK and JM, and KH calls it my V Day and 3rd Anniversary present all rolled into one. :D.

Gee! Gee! Gee!

Comments

Cheryl said…
Tak aci, the muaks getting BIGGER. Pilih Kasih :P Merajuk sikit...
Welcome to the world of 30 DEAR
Little Dove said…
Oh my, such a cute song!

Oh my, what a wonderful gift!
said…
now ppl choose camera because of the style and outlook too... not just the function... btw, good choice :)
simonlover said…
I agree with Apollo. G11 it's kinda ugly! Hehe. ( I go for looks as well - Dun mind ya!). It's released as a direct competitor to Panasonic's Lumix LX3, which i think, it's still the best camera in that range =P. Hehehe.
the viennamese said…
Thirty, flirty and thriving!
William said…
@Cheryl:
Hehe. Cannot help it. NOT YET LA!

@LittleD:
They look so gay singing that song. Thanks!

@L2:
It has a retro look. Thanks!

@Simon:
KH also prefers Lumix. :P

@Evann:
NOT YET THIRTY! LOL. Thriving sounds like I'm growing fat or something. :P
nase said…
Good choice and what a wonderful gift, eh. gosh now you can get back to what you do best - voyeuristic pix shots!!!! :p
Legolas said…
Don't give me DSLR camera for present!!! I don't know how to use it.
Little Prince said…
-.- competition~ hahaha. nvm now anak wants leica. hahahaha.
William said…
@Nase:
That camera is too big to take discreet shots!

@Legs:
I'm too lazy to fiddle too!

@Anakz:
Leica is so high class!
William said…
@Janvier:
It's beautiful!

@CarpeD:
Hehe.

@Takashi:
I still have time!
Derek said…
Of course my MUACKS must be bigger, if not I will merajuk LOL

Popular posts from this blog

Kensei

Osamu or Naoya?

Coat West Star II: Sho