Melbourne Menagerie VII: Everyday Is A Winding Road

First thing in the morning, we checked out of our apartment and lugged everything into the Tarrago. The GPS was set to Torquay and "avoid toll roads" and we were on our way. Breakfast was at Anglesea, where the sea supposedly meets the bush. Had breakfast of a quiche lorraine, apple strudel and a heavenly chocolate mousse for mum's birthday. I had a hard time trying to communicate with the girl at the bakery:

Me: Can you get me a fork?

Girl: What?

Me: A fork.

Girl: A what?

Me: F-O-R-K.

Girl: Oh, a foRRk.


Melbourne20090426

Must have been that my Klingon had a Malaysian accent. Mum did some shopping at the local Salvation Army Thrift Shop, can you believe it? From there on, we had hit the Great Ocean Road, a super-winding, scenic road that takes you real close to the South Australian coastline. One lane up. One lane down. With overtaking bays that allow for slower vehicles to turn in as to give way. They double as lookout points too. Fantastic views of the limestone cliffs and the roaring sea. At Torquay, the home of most of the surfing brands (no time for shopping!), we stopped a while to photograph the wind-swept trees. They really grow at an acute angle. So bonsai. At Lorne, we took another gelato stop at Lick and Sip. Award-winning flavours, but I only liked their lemon cheesecake. Time was running short, we just made a quick stop at Erskine Falls. According to the brochure, "if you're physically fit, you may consider taking the 200 steps down to the Lower Erskine Falls Lookout". I scoffed at that. I regretted it. For one thing, the waterfall was quite dry. And secondly, the climb back up at that altitude and in the cold air was stifling. Now I know why athletes wanna do training in the highlands.

Melbourne20090427

The road between Apollo Bay and Port Campbell was the worst, bagai ular kena palu. Firstly, my nephew threw up, followed by my sis. Everyone had konked out during the journey, so I put my foot to the pedal. I made it to The Twelve Apostles in time. The sun had not begun to set yet. Really beautiful, carved out of the cliff after millions of years of erosion. But there's only 8 now I think. The rest had collapsed. With the diminishing light and spray from surf, it was quite a sight to behold. We spent the night at Park View Motel, a nice homey place with electric blankets and a space heater. We really needed those as it was REALLY cold at night. Dinner was at a nearby Italian restaurant called Nico's. Turns out that the owner is a local mud wrestling champ too. Ordered a Sicilian pizza and boy, were those anchovies salty! The linguini was disappointing too. Back at the motel, mum and I downed half a bottle of the pinot to keep warm....

Melbourne20090411

P.S.: As per Beng2's request, I have given a thought to enlarging the photos! How? How?

Comments

KJSC said…
oh its you! haha..i remember... =)

we went for a drink with samuel, jeremy and kinhoe
Pike-chan said…
The pics are just perfect! And I miss that place.
Jaded Jeremy said…
At least can see what the photos are about lor lol.

And what's wrong with shopping at Salvation Army Thrift Shop? Can get good bargain.
Cheryl said…
DEAR , u still owe me the original photos.. i wanna make book marks
William said…
@Kenny:
I nearly couldn't recognize you. You look different in the pics. Hope you're doing well.

@Pikey:
Plan a revisit.

@JJ:
Haha. Mum bought a cute lace curtain, several shot glasses and a candlestick I think.

@Cheryl:
Remind me...

Popular posts from this blog

Kensei

Osamu or Naoya?

Coat West Star II: Sho