Elections!

Marilah mari, Kita mengundi,

Tunaikanlah kewajiban, kepada negara.


Gotta love this song. A classic from Penerbitan Filem Negara Malaysia. Way up there with the classics like "Kurangan Gula", "Cinta IT" and "Alhamdullilah Syukur Nikmat", but I digress. Although we're not party members, I SK, HP and I voluntered to assist DAP as polling and counting agents at one of seven the polling stations in the Seputeh constituency. SK and HP were involved in polling, basically observing and striking off the names of people who came in to vote. SK got the oldest end of the electoral roll, whereas HP got the youngest end, so the latter got more eye candy! I on the other hand was the coordinator. Had to sit one hundred metres away from the polling station entrace under a small parasol. My job was to arrange relief agents, make sure that volunteers turned up for their shifts and to send food and water. In my spare time, I would help voters to determine their voting stream.

BN on the other hand had a nice, big gazebo, complete with electricity so they could set up a computer to check the electoral roll. I only had a photocopied book, but it was good enough. Mum, sis and brother-in-law came to help too. It was kinda fun, until the sun came out. Was really tanned. My poor face! Met all sorts of people. The people who avoid me like the plague are most-likely BN supporters or people who prefer to keep their votes close to their hearts, while some DAP supporters are overly-zealous. All sorts of comments:

"I want BN to die!"

"I will never support them! They're animals!"

"Rocket right? Good!"

"Eh, you people so poor ah? No PC one?"

"Aiyah, you look so bored, give you some work mah..."

"My eyesight not good la, do I cross the top or the bottom for DAP?"


Did notice something ridiculous about the election. Most of the rooms were located on the 2nd floor, causing much distress to senior citizens and the disabled. I had heard of a case where a voter stricken with polio was not offered any help by the whole bunch of EC people. They just stood there. Truth be told, I don't think one needs four or five people to direct voters to the correct room. HP was involved in the counting process and I had to wait around for all the counting agents to pass me the results. Upon receiving all the results, I passed them to DAP Tallying Center. Didn't wait around for the official results to be announced, but I was kinda shocked the next day when I learnt that she won with a majority of more than 36,000 votes and also clinched the Kinrara State seat. The end...

P.S: An interesting nugget of information about marking your ballot papers. It doesn't necessarily have to be an X, it can be any symbol on the space required, on the name, or on the logo! It's the intention that counts.

Comments

Medie007 said…
omg... really got such comments one mei?
Alex said…
I love the majority she won....
Jaded Jeremy said…
Re nuggets: yah meh? I always thought anything other than the X in the blank space besides the logo is spoiled vote?

I can't imagine you tanned!
Cheryl said…
dear cute uncle, next time i will ask u to come to help then u can be tanned also :P as u sounded so
"desprado" LOL

See me no more in next ELECTION :P
William said…
@Bong:
Yeah, kisah benar.

@Alex:
The biggest, I think.

@JJ:
Imagine my face diconteng arang. Tis true, I can show you the EC guide book.

@Cheryl:
Let's think about THAT later.
famil said…
dowan to take the risk, it might be written on the book, but the clerk might automatically throw it into undi rosak bin. especially when you draw 'lan ch*w" :p
Jason said…
Ah, really? Can I put a tick or draw a "shit" on it ala Shin Chan's style next time? :p
Bengbeng said…
i dont know u but i feel u have sone a good job with the election. as for old folks it took an old woman and an old man abt ten mionutes to clinb up the stairs. no body offered to help.
voters who pities them were asked to stay behind the line until it was their turn. they shud jus put the centres at ground level

Popular posts from this blog

Kensei

Osamu or Naoya?

Coat West Star II: Sho