Reunion

No Yasmin Ahmad CNY ad for Petronas this year. Read in the papers that the "Go home for reunion dinner, if you can" ad was visualised by a young hotshot from some gweilo firm. Thinking about it, reunion dinner is getting to be a smaller and smaller affair with each passing year. When I was a kid, my whole family would travel from Kuantan to Teluk Intan (a 7-8 hours trunk road drive) to have dinner with my grandma, uncle and cousins. As the years passed, nearly all my cousins started their own family and it was quite a challenge getting everyone together in one place anymore. Later, dad passed on, my grandma passed away and even my uncle called it a day. Eventually, we had reunion dinner in KL and my lengthy CNY trip eventually became a day trip to see my aunt and cousins. With my sister married, reunion dinner is just me, my mum and bro. A quiet affair, but still mum outdoes herself every year though she complains that she's getting old and all.

This year, mum made stewed five-spice duck, white chicken, old lotus root soup, fish maw and mushroom stew, stir-fried vegetables, alfalfa (I know, so Margaret Phuah Chu Beng) and lettuce salad with my brother's apple cider dressing, fried pomfret and butter prawns. It's really a whole lot considering there were only three of us. But it's good to have an abundance of leftovers anyway, if one believes in the symbolism. Dinner was accompanied by a nice Cabernet Shiraz that my brother picked out. We were really stuffed. And the leftovers lasted us for days.

On the subject of reunion, reunion dinner kinda coincided with my reunion with KH too. On reunion dinner eve, we met up and went to a spa together at Jojoba Spa, Berjaya Times Square. The experience wasn't quite as nice as the one at Royale Bintang. The receptionist looked like a disgruntled, grounded airline stewardess. My therapist was also quite bad. She didn't know how to focus the strength of her fingers, so the massage was kinda wasted. The room was also too bright, and the treatment didn't let KH and I have much interaction as everything was quite separate. The red wine hydrotherapy was also unlike in the brochure-- they just gave me a measley cup to pour into the jacuzzi. Talk about watered down and "for illustration purposes only".

Having done with our spa, we headed back to SK's place for a little alone time. A private, homecoming celebration. And it was great.

collageCNY2008Home

Comments

Little Prince said…
that small boys name is tan thiam hock. he was the visualizer for the ad. but yasmin shoot it. that company was leo burnett. meaning it's the same same la~
:P
Little Prince said…
got the link.
http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2008/2/6/nation/20231804&sec=nation
LOLs.
*sooooo the kiasu~*
Anonymous said…
Visualizer = does not do TVC, they do the visuals for the storyboard or print ad

Leo Burnett - yes guailow int ad agency, that's the agency that Yasmin is working for

The TVC - she shot it la.
Jason said…
Well, although it's a small reunion, I think it's a bliss.
Cheryl said…
Blessed enough to have a reunion dinner, dear. Wonder... even won't have it anymore when we grow older...and the "day" seems nearer and nearer
Medie007 said…
never occured to me reunion dinner could be so... small... dreaded dreaded dreaded...

Popular posts from this blog

Kensei

Osamu or Naoya?

Coat West Star II: Sho