Overheard


eavesdropping
Swiped from iceblink240.
The STAR LRT ride between Masjid Jamek and Sri Petaling can be quite boring when you've done it for the umpteenth time. The view is the same, so why bother? What are we left with to pass the time? Yes, the passengers. There are familiar faces. Regulars. There are pretty faces. There are annoying people. People who talk too loud. Able to rise above the din of the tracks. Telling everyone their life story. And all this ample entertainment for my 20-minute ride. My eyes dart around and my ears are perked... enjoy:

Kid 1: Why don't you stop at Bukit Jalil with me for a drink first?
Kid2: No man, my mum would have a fit each time I arrive late. She would nag and nag!
Kid1: Yalah, my mum also like to nag la.
Kid2: If go out anywhere, I ask sure she don't let. But my father will let. So I just go out without asking. After enjoy already, let her nag la. That's why I prefer my dad.
Kid1: Me too. Aiyah, but my father got financial problems la.
Kid2: Huh?
Kid1: The business not doing well. Got cheated. My mum everyday nag him. Say he's useless. When he's not around, she'll complain to me. I don't respond la. Or else she will nag me.
Kid1: Play both sides la. When with your dad, agree with him. When with your mum, agree with her. But when both find out, you're finished la.
Kid2: Yeah, that's right.


The conservation disturbs me a bit. Kid1 seems oblivious to the gravity of the situation. In his little world, he only sees the effects-- the nagging. But I really wonder if he is aware that the financial problem could be severe and that the mother's constant nagging could be the start of an ugly keretakan rumahtangga. Sigh. And Kid2 is really a sly punk. Heh. But end of the day, children can't really do much, especially at their age. They're just a pawn, something to throw around when things go down the crapper. Their voice is not heard. But they get heard and really should be given a say. I hope things are not as bad as I think. I still do see those kids on the train, and I hope it isn't the end of innocence for one of them.

PS: I'm way too bored in the LRT, picking up drama minggu ini from the passengers... I'm such an eavesdropper... :P

Comments

Ganymede said…
Poor thing... Kinda sad really. Kids grow up so fast because of these kinds of circumstances I think.
Will said…
Have you ever gone onto LRT with a friend and made up a conversation that you know will attract someone's attention, like maybe where you seem totally clueless about things every schoolkid shold know, or maybe you talk about "yesterday's autopsy" in graphic detail, or you discuss someone's "misfortune" that is sure to make people say "huh???" That can be fun to do. I think it would be really fun to do that and then find that someone has blogged about it.

Yeah, I'm a little weird sometimes. But I'm fun at parties!
Jaded Jeremy said…
Drama minggu ini...haha. If I didn't bring something to read, I usually sleep. But if there are cute guys, I'll peek regularly lah.
Little Prince said…
it depends you know. on how they were brought up. some where just silver spoons and so they wouldn't really understand financial difficulties later when their parents have a downfall... tho if they were really rich brats they would have taken the cab instead... mmm... so maybe they just don't love their family... LOLs.
Alex said…
Wakakakakak... One number: 8.
nyonyapenang said…
Hi William,

Sounds like 'Siaran Terkini'. hahaha....Sori, had joke.
Willk said…
The easier way to kill boring way at LRT is never took LRT, take bus or taxi. There is other public transport in this world beside LRT. :p
J.L said…
Next time use yourphone. Record video. Siaran langsung dari LRT
Fable Frog said…
yerr~ you so busy body one! if i were on public transport i stuff my ear with earphone~ so no live telecast for me~ But do report on future conversations heard on the LRT~!! ;)
Anonymous said…
i miss taking public transport, missing all the little things in life!
Anonymous said…
I love riding on public transportation for some reason, it gives me time to be by myself in a sea of people, i noe datz weird, i oso love ppl watching lar.
David The Man said…
DJ Will: Stay tuned to Station WlliamNYK 99.9 FM broadcasting live from Elle-Are-Tea Kay-Elle. 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
adrien said…
the handy SE walkman phone keeps me company most of the time. can't help but to eavesdrop when i forget to bring along the earphones though.

what my house mates and i always do is to answer to eavesdropped questions to each other. a prank of sort.

try it. it's fun. :p
William said…
QueerR:
And most kids can't wait to grow up...

@Will:
Haha. It would be quite a coincidence if you stumbled upon the post! The life if the party? Hehe.

JJ:
I'm sure you peek. :P

@DanielH:
Good point!

@Alex:
An auspicious number!

@Nyonya:
Hahah. New avatar!

@William:
Have to take lor... LRT is still better than bus or taxi.

@Chester:
Nak streaming lagi?! Ganas.

@Bong:
There is the potential. But I'm no paedophile!

@Frog:
8 8 Frog!

@Searcher:
Time to lockdown the Satria for one day!

@FireHorse:
It is very fun actually. I like to do it too.

@DavidTM:
Thanks for the ad.

@Adrien:
I can always count on you to come up with fun games!

Popular posts from this blog

Kensei

Osamu or Naoya?

Coat West Star II: Sho