Inclined


Gohatto
Swiped from comics0923.
Unlike some people I know (ok la, Cynikeel, :P), I have not posted a movie post in ages. As Bunny would testify, my forte is food posts. However, I've decided to try my hand at movie posts again. I did not go to the cinema (lama aku tak pergi, sapo nak belanja ni?), but I recently bought a DVD that is quite noteworthy to share here. The title is Gohatto. I just picked it up on a whim and since it was on sale at $5 (not pirated, but got it at a shop at Summit USJ that's clearing old stock), it was quite a no-brainer. As you would have guessed, it's Japanese. But most importantly, it has Beat Takashi in it. I can add it to my collection of Izo, Zatoichi and Battle Royale.

As with all Jap movies, it's always a bit weird. Pace-wise. Storyline-wise. But therein lies the attraction for me. I had no expectations for it whatsoever. I asked my mum to read me the summary on the back of the DVD (banana, tak tahu baca cina) and she just said a whole lotta killing in feudal Japan and harumph-ed (she still nags me about the stupidity and violence of Izo). I bought it anyway. Well, the story is quite interesting and has a gay slant to it. Actually, the gay slant quite important to the story.

It's about a Kano, the son of a merchant who joins the Shinsengumi (a military outfit) and causes havoc in the ranks due to his girlish looks and flowing locks. It's interesting to note that the movie portrays feudal Japan as quite accepting towards homosexuality and the subtitles is quite cute about it by putting men who love men as being so inclined. Anyway, there's sex, love, jealousy, treachery and killing. The ending's quite confusing and I still don't know what to make of it.

So, if you're inclined towards off-beat period Japananese movies, give Gohatto a go.

Comments

MrBunnyBan said…
Aiyaya... if you wanna blog about movies of this nature must at elast put up pics of scantily dressed men foryour readers. ;)
savante said…
GASP! Where did you buy that! I only saw it online.
savante said…
Summit USJ. I am such a blind bimbo.
William said…
pk@Ban:
It's feudal Japan, not metropolitan Bangkok la... :P

@Savante:
Go shopping!

Popular posts from this blog

Kensei

Osamu or Naoya?

Coat West Star II: Sho