Eastern Delight


Photo-0414
Swiped from williamnyk.
After more than 20 years of enjoying the soup-based steamboat, I have finally tried the porridge-based version at Eastern Delight, Seri Petaling. One of my mother's friends won big at the agensi nombor ramalan, so dinner was on her. Being the remora I usually am, I got to go along to. Hehe. For one thing, I did not have very high expectations of it. I'm definitely a "soup guy" and as such, the porridge I prefer is also the Teochew kind. However, they use the congee type with the beras hancur.

That aside, it's pretty much steamboat lo. It's just more filling and it's quite weird to put leafy greens in porridge. If the idea of porridge doesn't appeal (I have a colleague who refuses to eat it because she associates it with being sick), the place also serves the normal variety of steamboat. The price is not quite cheap and everything is ala carte, so the costs can add up to quite an amount. However, it's quite justified as the stuff is really fresh. I love their fish paste, fish balls, prawn balls and etc. Extremely fresh, translucent with good texture. None of the mass-produced stuff here.

The interior decoration is quite nice. Very oriental with lots of wood carvings. But as with most steamboat places, it's quite stuffy, though not as horrible as the experience I had at Seoul Garden, Plaza Pantai-- water vapourizer above my head, smoke from the grill directly billowing into my face and the fantastic carbon monoxide fumes from the Federal Highway at my back. Die. Anyway, for reservations, please call Sky Tham at 03-90593545.

Yes, Sky. And no, I don't know whether his brother is Running Water Tham.

Comments

Derek said…
For once (after a long time), I get most of what you said. Except for the last paragraph ;P

I am taking a liking for teochew porridge, which started since I came to Sg. It felt weird at first - like rice in soup! - but I am ok with it now ....
Little Prince said…
well i don't care much about those other details but just this... when are you buying me dinner at that place? LOLs

yes MUD festival in Korea. go google for it... it's so hwat! better than 14th April in Thailand... HAHA...

la la la la la la and this year i am sooo going... weeezzz then to hk... LALALALALALALALA... and then you're buying me dinner... lalalalalalalala... hahahahaha
Melvin Mah said…
There's one in Cheras that I love to go and all my other friends seem to be addicted to it....both the porridge and the special "pork-bone" soup base.......yummy~
nyonyapenang said…
i read somewhere that there is one outlet near pudu area doing this type of steamboat too. yet to try out, though.
William said…
@Derek:
1001010111100010111110001111001011010101101010101011010101011010101000
You always tease me about that!

Last time ask you want to eat Teochew porridge or not you said don't want.... :P

@Daniel:
Buy you dinner?! You're the rich one leh... pity me lah.. bring me have dinner at Starhill Gallery...

@M5l:
Cheras you say? But I'm afraid of Cheras....

@NyonyaP:
Pudu huh? Lotsa good food there.

@Savante:
Hari2 kena makan mah... sama lu hari2 mesti skanky2. :P
Little Prince said…
ohhhh shit why must you say starhill gallery!!! making me crave for my soup de... yum... soupsss... YUMS...

ok... i treat you to that chinese restaurant mmm... beef with egg soup... yum... HAHA...

Popular posts from this blog

Kensei

Osamu or Naoya?

Coat West Star II: Sho