Do Not Ignore


readdig
Originally uploaded by williamnyk.
Ever since I've moved from OUG to Bukit Jalil and having changed my mailing address, I thought I had managed to escape the scourge of the Reader's Digest 600,000 Super Contest. After 2 years of bliss, I knew it was over when I received a letter in the mail marked Exress Day Timed Delivery and Time-sensitive Documents Enclosed. The evil people at Reader's Digest have finally ganged up with Citibank. Arggghh! Citibank sold me out. I really hate that contest. All those fake "important" documents, faux cheques, obnoxioussignatures and plastic car keys.

Return within 7 days!

Eligible for One Hundred and Ten Thousand Ringgit

Urgent! This key could help you open the doors to a brand-new car!

Just to get me to subscribe to the expensive publication. I'd rather subscribe to National Geographic. Screw Dennis Tam, Finance Director, Prize Payment Centre, Contest Committee, yadda, yadda, yadda.

Comments

savante said…
Gotta hand it to them. The Reader's Digest people are amazing at finding their subscribers.
Vengelyne said…
Lol. I used to get that when I was still in the university. Funny how they stopped mailing me after I started working and can AFFORD to subscribe.

Dumbasses they are. Never qualified the recipients before wasting postage... duh!
ikanbilis said…
my dad spent thousands on them. well maybe like 3K on buying their thick books which stays beautifully in my room =P

they send books out of nowhere and suddenly the next week, they'd send an invoice.

he end up facing debt. and he won nothing. but i still like the magazine somehow, despite calling malaysian 3rd rudest (partialy true)
thompsonboy said…
Hey, I got the plastic key too. Honey, it's either this from Citibank or non stop calls from HSBC asking me twice a month to do a balance transfer, get a supplementary line or buy an insurance policy.
MrBunnyBan said…
Bwahaha, Reader's Digest. But the cheques from banks are the worst- some desperate people think it's free money and end up in debt. I heard there was some uproar about that but nothing was done.
William said…
@Paul:
Next thing you know, they'll be resorting to Ah Long advertising tactics.

@Venge:
Makes you wonder where they get their mailing lists. Maybe your dean sold your info. Heh.

@IkanB:
Encyclopaedias? Mine are in cold storage now. But I had loads of fun with them 15 years back. How clever. Read now. Pay later. Rudeness is so subjective. But anyway, Malaysian are very defensive. Every little thing...

@Daniel:
I've so far bought 2 insurance policies. Going to dump Citibank's for HSBC's. The sucker that I am. They always call for cash advance. Does your company have anything to do with this silly subscription campaign?!

@Bunny:
There is no free lunch. Don't know what to say at times. Banks preying on the ones with less common sense. Oh well...
thompsonboy said…
Ha...smart also that you know we handled HSBC. NO, we don't do all these whoring - in fact since everyone in the agency is forced to bank with them...we get the calls as well

Popular posts from this blog

Kensei

Osamu or Naoya?

Coat West Star II: Sho