Slow Life Hokkaido III: Misplaced on the Mountain

Evergreen Trees

In a major change of direction, our third day was spent in the mountains. Drove about an hour up to the Daisetsuzan Asahidake Ropeway station. Mist covered most of road up the mountain as we had started our journey pretty early. The ride up to the Sugatami Station only took a short ten minutes, but the view was breathtaking. As beautiful as I remember it. The Sugatami Station is 1,600 metres above sea level, and is the starting point for hiking to the summit. For the less adventurous, there's a short circuit around Sugatami Pond that only requires a pair of gum boots. Now they charge JPY300 for boot rental, but they provide insoles as a value-add. During my last trip, the rangers didn't mark the trail, so KH and I didn't complete the circuit.

Gumboots Rental

Sugatami Station

The wind chill prompted me to wear another layer of clothes, and the glare made me put on my sunnies, which was a mistake! I took off my glasses and put it my jacket's inner pocket, which wasn't a pocket at all. So when we started hiking, it fell out of my clothes and onto the snow. About 100 metres up the slope to the first lookout point, I checked for my glasses and found it missing! Alamak! I retraced my steps but couldn't find it. Worst case was someone stepped on it and it went straight into the snow. Then I thought perhaps it was in my sunglasses case which was with my mum. I trudged up the slope. Unfortunately, it wasn't there either. Oh no! Took a breather, drank some water, and went back down. Changed my search area and looked again. Bro also looked. Stayed calm and prayed for Mother Mary's intervention. My prayers were soon answered when I caught a glint of light on the snow. I had found my spectacles! Untouched, in perfect condition. Thank you, Mother Mary!

Spectacles in the Snow

The Memorare
Remember, O most gracious Virgin Mary, that never was it known that anyone who fled to thy protection, implored thy help, or sought thine intercession was left unaided.
Inspired by this confidence, I fly unto thee, O Virgin of virgins, my mother; to thee do I come, before thee I stand, sinful and sorrowful. O Mother of the Word Incarnate, despise not my petitions, but in thy mercy hear and answer me.
Amen.

Asahidake

For the third time, I climbed up to the first lookout point, and boy was I winded. Made sure my spectacles was secure and continued our trip. A bird-watcher was there with his telescopic lens, looking out for birds in the foliage.

Birdwatcher

The second lookout point provided a view of Surabachi Pond. At the fifth lookout point, we could get a close-up view of Sugatami Pond with its steaming nozzle. Kinda like a humidifier at full blast. Initially, I didn't expect that we would do something so physical, but mum was faring well, and she was enjoying every minute of it. The tail end of the circuit was much easier as it was downhill toward Sugatami station. Mum's legs were a bit sore after that, but it was manageable. I too strained myself hiking up the hill in a hurry several times. Quite different doing it on solid ground compared to thick snow. Kinda like running on the beach. At our last stop, we were rewarded with a close sighting of a kitsune!

Surabachi Pond and Peak

Sugatami Pond

Fox

Back at the Sugatami Station, we stopped at the café for hot coffee and a hot 'Mountain of Croquette', which is a minced meat and potato croquette. Delicious.

Going Down

Back down at the base station, we did more shopping. On our way out, we stopped a while at Chubetsu Dam, flood control, irrigation, water supply and hydropower dam that took 29 years to complete.

Dam

Nothing else was planned for the day, so I got Bro working on a café hunt. His research skills came up with Café Good Life, a quaint place hidden in the outskirts of Asahikawa. The place is a combination of a café, artist's workshop, and bakery. All of it housed in several wooden cottages. When we walked in, we were immediately attracted to the decorations, and the many knick-knacks that were on sale. The aroma of baked goods also permeated the entire space, further fueling the rumbling of our tummies.

Workshop

Beautiful Day

Model

They had a great set that packaged a main with coffee and cake, so we got two of that-- red pasta and a beef stew. Each was paired with bread, salad, and delicious gnocchi. Cake-wise it was Berry Cream Cake and Le Gâteau Invisible, both of which was delicately decorated, and fantastic. Couldn't stop at the cakes, we tried the cookies too. The rosemary and mini gingerbread men were great too. Excellent texture. Bro also got a fruit cake for tomorrow's breakfast.

Can I Help You?

Le Gâteau Invisible

Biscuits

From there we headed into Asahikawa for some shopping. Stopped at a Uniqlo, Tsuruha Drug Store, Ashbee, and 'borrowed' the restrooms at the Asahikawa Ramen Village. A Super Arcs was nearby, so we settled our dinner there. The first in our series of 20%-off dinners. Got a mixture of cooked food-- chicken katsu, nigiri sushi, kakiage, kombu salad, salmon sashimi, grilled squid, and Japanese sweet melon. The squid was so fleshy and the melon was so juicy. A cheap and satisfying dinner.

Supermarket

Super Arcs Dinner

POI Mapcodes:
  1. Daisetsuzan Asahidake Ropeway Station : 796 861 068
  2. Cafe Good Life : 0166-36-7722 (phone)
  3. Aashikawa Ramen Village : 0166-48-2153 (phone)

Comments

Jaded Jeremy said…
Wah heng ar, you found your specs.
William said…
@JJ:
Kan? Nothing short of a miracle.

Popular posts from this blog

Kensei

Osamu or Naoya?

Coat West Star II: Sho