Nyonya Sunday

Old Dining by williamnyk
Old Dining, swiped from williamnyk on Flickr.
Right after mass on Sunday, I visited Cahaya Puri to help SK look for a statue of Christ the Redeemer for her altar. They only had one, and the design wasn't very nice. I think she would have to opt for the Sacred Heart instead because Christ the Redeemer isn't a very popular choice among the artisans. Or perhaps anyone here has any idea where I might source for one? Thanks in advance!

Nyonya Fare

Every Sunday I make a random decision on where to eat lunch. My latest whim brought us to Kota Damansara for Nyonya food near The Strand. We were actually deciding between two shops, Kung Fu and The Wok. Both had very attractive interiors and business seemed brisk. Finally chose Nyonya over Chinese. The boss was telling us that his shop was among the first to have opened in the area three years ago and that his neighbour changed every five months or so. Supposedly the best Nyonya food in Petaling Jaya with authentic Penang taste. Lots of antiques were piled into the shop, with intricate wood paneling and screens. Every nook and cranny seemed to hold some knick-knack. Hovering over our table was the autographed boots of Phua Chu Kang and a large signature of Henry Thia (doesn't really help to work up an appetite). Mum and I ordered the Kapitan chicken (gravy was thick and had a strong taste of star anise) and sambal paku-pakis (came with cuttlefish and prawns). For drinks I ordered hot soya bean with gula melaka that was really hot and fragrant. The food came with a complimentary lo hon kor soup (so weird drinking that sweet and salty soup) and mak chuk. The clientele seemed predominantly u lui. Food was better than Precious Restaurant & Bar at Central Market I think. But the latter has more impressive antiques. Practically had a temple feel to it.

PCK

Next up, I drove mum around Kota Damansara to visit the little fashion boutiques scattered all over the place. In the end, we visited Sunway Giza, a much more successful version of NZX. Was quite surprised by their use of giant rotor blades as fans. Nothing much to see nor do there. Spent most of the time at Village Grocer looking at the expensive imported vegetables. MYR30 for a bunch of celery. MYR4 for one onion. MYR13 for a slice of pumpkin. You get the picture. Noticed the shop called "A Loft Of Things" that was recently mentioned in SimonLover's post, but I did not go up to check out their ZOD underwear and swimwear. Went jogging later in the evening. Didn't run much as my stamina was worse due to my flu. Back home, mum cooked some salmon head soup and mee kolok for dinner. The long holiday was officially over!!!


FullHouse

Comments

akaMike said…
i've eaten at this nyonya place...all i can say SUPER YUMMY!!!!! :D
Gratitude said…
Oh thanks for the info. I'm sooo into nyonya food nowadays.
+Ant+
thompsonboy said…
I so need to replace that rosary in my car and find a nice St Michael...I love Catholic stuff.
William said…
@akaMike:
I agree. It's quite good.

@Grat:
Seasonal craving?

@TBoy:
Cool. You're looking for a statue of the Archangel?
J said…
Can you compare?? Did it have the claimed 'authentic' Penang taste??
William said…
@Hdaran:
Every Penang-ite I know scoffs at such claims.
J said…
I am no exception!!!

Popular posts from this blog

Kensei

Osamu or Naoya?

Coat West Star II: Sho