Bah-bah Black Sheep

If you can speak Malay, you should be able to surive in Brunei. It's pretty much the same breed of language, with certain exceptions. The first thing I noticed was their fondness for the word "bah". Kinda like the equivalent of our "lah", except infinitely more flexible. It fits most situations. Can use it to agree, get attention, and even prohibit. And they "kita" instead of "awak" as a sign on respect. Confusing kan? Then you have your "ngak payah" and "ngak buleh" that somehow just rolls off the tongue with a funny melody to it. Quite fun to use. And instead of "tidak", they use "inda". Then they have a whole lot of "Dayangku"s and "Awangku"s floating around... people with royal lineage. On top of this, I just found out that when Bruneians say "belayar", they actually mean going on a trip. :S.

"OK bah!!"

Comments

Twilight Man said…
They actually speak Borneo tribal language bah. Kita cakap BM, they tu cakap like Indons and those various tribes in Sarawak & Sa....bah! So pusing bah.
SynchingZincInc said…
You forgot 'Auda' which means 'Anda' LOL

Helix
Cheryl said…
those muslims didnt wear tudung bah?
Legolas said…
I can never understand the BM they use in Borneo, no matter how.
Gratitude said…
My cousins in Kuching say "bah" and "bo". It's a Borneo slang gua.
+Ant+
simonlover said…
You shud ask them the words used before, during and after ....xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx?!!
William said…
@Hdaran:
Hehe

@Twi:
I'm really not sure if Sabah and Sarawakians speak like this too. I did not notice this in Kuching.

@SynchZ:
Did not notice this. Anything else to add?

@Nicky:
You used to date a Sabahan?

@Cheryl:
Most of them do.

@Legs:
Pasang telinga lo...

@Grat:
I have not heard "bo" here.

@SimonL:
You should f*ck a Bruneian in KL and let me know!
Little Dove said…
Not so much in Sarawak, more in Sabah. I can testify because I've stayed long term in both states. :)
Derek said…
Interesting. But don't start saying those words to me OK? Hehe
Pluboy2 said…
haha derek so funny! :P

Popular posts from this blog

Kensei

Osamu or Naoya?

Coat West Star II: Sho