Butchko

Nat is an ex-colleague of mine from India. Several years ago, my company hired him as a contract staff and we worked together on of my past projects. Some time back, my company terminated his contract and he also moved on to another company. Back in those days, he was quite a good companion, exposing me to much Indian culture. Some days, I would introduce him to local, Japanese and Korean food and on others, he would bring me for chapati and my favourite chickpea curry. Even after he left, he would ping me on GTalk and send me occasional SMS-es. I was invited to his wedding, housewarming and etc, but I never made it. So when he invited me to his daughter's first birthday party, I really couldn't refuse.

Nat: Come for my daughter's birthday party on Labour Day! Block out that date for me. Come after 5:00pm.

moi: Erm, my mum's birthday celebration is only on that night. Can I come for lunch instead?

Nat: Come. Come. Your presence is a blessing for my daughter!


So accommodating. Amazing! And so, I brought along SK as my navigator to Bandar Sungai Long for a simple lunch with his family. Luckily we found his place without too much hassle (but it still took us two short stops to ask for directions). Quite a nice place. Big built-up area and extensive renovation for just MYR320k. His daugther Devi is quite a cheerful kid. Smiling and laughing all the way. No fear of strangers at all! Took an immediate liking to me and SK. We sat down to lunch with Nat, his Astronomer father and brother. His wife Shar whipped up a nice meal of Dry Curry Chicken with Eggs and Yoghurt (it was her first time cooking it and it was fabulous. Gotta get the recipe!), Mango dhaal and sambar. Topped it all off with some crispy pappadum.

Rediscovered my non-existant Indian roots by eating with my fingers. Such a long time since I did that. Devi went running around the dining table but she would periodically stop by to ask for a bite of pappadum from my plate. After we had all eaten, Shar blended some rice and dhaal for Devi. Practically had to force feed her. Her poor mother has to do it 3 times a day unless she cooks something different every day. What a demanding customer! But give her plain water, and she'll drink and drink and drink. Must have been a camel in one of her past lives! By 3:00pm, SK and I made our exit to let the parents rest (and let the baby butchko @ sleep!) a while and prepare for the festivities at night. The whole family came out to send us off. Nat was obviously happy that I could make it. All the best to the young family!

Comments

- a L E x - said…
please do get those recipes and share it with me xD!
Unknown said…
haha perhaps the time has come for you to have a cute baby ^^ the house is merrier with them around.




[Jino] - A man's not a man unless he knows how to shoot
Anonymous said…
thats so sweet of him! yes the houses in bdr sg long are kinda reasonably new and nice, and very reasonably priced! my uncle also stay there.
somehow im not very used to use finger to eat main dishes (except kfc), but under ur circumstances, guess i would b more than happy to comply lor :)
Lucas said…
Jino, r u hinting to Will and SK, or just Will?

Lol, just joking la.
Mark said…
I love Indian food, very flavorful and unfortunately unkind to the waistline if taken too much.

Anyhow, such a sweet and lively family. Can I be godfather when you have you first? XD
Gratitude said…
Cappati with kheema, YUMZ!
+Ant+
Pike-chan said…
Looking fwd to the recipe too, lols
Mr.D said…
you are always welcome to my house for another round of indian food fiesta~
fufu said…
yeah i want indian curry!!
nicky05 said…
wah!!! from your place to bandar sg long!!! "GENG"..!!!!
Cheryl said…
DEAR punya anak ar... ask "the egg" for the egg LOL
William said…
@Alex: @Pikey:
Await my good news! You'll cook for me? :P

@Jino:
Hmmm... maybe in 2 years? :P

@Happy:
But I don't quite like the area. But location is good lo, got UTAR campus nearby. KFC I can use fork and spoon de. Haha.

@Lucas:
I think both of us!

@Mark:
Nasi Kandar? :)
If you give my baby a super big gold chain, I can consider it. :P

@Grat:
Yes, kheema! Sedapz.

@MrD:
Yay!

@Fufu:
Try cooking it in Germany!

@Nicky:
Yeah lo... quite far. Lucky got SK navigate.

@Cheryl:
???

@Derek:
It means sleep.
Cheryl said…
It means if DEAR want ur darah daging, u can ask "THE EGG" to donate her egg lor.......haha
William said…
YOU can have her egg.

Popular posts from this blog

Kensei

Osamu or Naoya?

Coat West Star II: Sho