How Confusing Thou Art


I Press On
Swiped from unxpektd.
Recently, my mum's friend's brother was released after a decade of psychiatric care. During his treatment, he was acquainted with Christianity. The story was that he was supposed to attend a bible study thing, so he requested that his sister get him a bible. Since my mum's friend is Taoist (with a mini temple above her bungalow no less), she seeked a favour from my mum. In the SMS, he specifically asked for this bible:

New King James Bible: Standard Revised Edition

But being Catholics, we also know nuts about Protestant bibles. LOL. I only know that the Catolic Bible contains 46 books in the Old Testament and 27 books in the New Testament whereas the Protestant bibles has some variation. So off we went to Glad Sounds at section 14. I immediately went to the counter for some help and the helpful uncle showed us a whole rack of bibles.

"This whole section is the King James Version (KJV)."

"Below it is the New King James Version (NKJV)."

"And over here we have the New Revised Standard Edition (NRSV)."

"We also have the English Standard Edition (ESV).


Hin or not? End of the day, it's the same bible with different revisions to the translation over the years. But do correct me if I'm wrong. I just took the simplistic answer from the storekeeper. We ended up with the NKJV since the NRSV costs 6 times more due to the leather binding.

"Don't worry about the wrong version. It is the Lord's Word, it will not go to waste."

Comments

Twilight Man said…
Oh great, I am SO HAPPY to read your post. I just argued with my colleague that I heard there are bibles of different versions. But 2 of them slammed me and said there is only 1 Bible being shared by all Christians worldwide! Now who is retarded? They or Grandma?
Please turn your head around and enlighten me. Thanks heaps!
Legolas said…
What was the psychiatric condition that your mom's friend's brother had?
Gratitude said…
Gosh so many versions! I only remembered that I bought the cheap version. hehe
+Ant+
MrBunnyBan said…
Bwahahahaha... New International Version is easier to read IMO. People who like King James like the flowery language. :P
Little Dove said…
Bless your kind heart. I prefer NIV too.

p/s: Bibles are so expensive nowadays.
Justb3cks2 said…
Hmm.... I usually 'pinjam' bible wheneer I go to hotel. Then lend the bible to other friend who's dont own one :P
Nicjay said…
I am buddish de...噢你托佛。。。
William said…
@TZone:
There's too much in-fighting unfortunately. So now Grandma can be a bible thumper?

@Legs:
No idea wor...

@Grat:
Haha. It's the content that is most important.

@Ban:
I also use the Today's English Edition.

@LittleD:
A very simple task. The prices vary. Bibles should be affordable!

@JB:
The Gideons!

@NicJay:
Amitabha! ;)
Derek said…
As long as the versions are not too different from each other.

Besides, there are bound to be many versions since Jesus himself didn't write it.
Leon Koh said…
I like derek said.. there are bound to be many versions since Jesus himself didn't write it.

and thansk for your smile!
William said…
@Derek:
The term used is "inspired".

@Leon:
Here's another, :D.

Popular posts from this blog

Kensei

Osamu or Naoya?

Coat West Star II: Sho