$$$

"Money No Enough II" was definitely not high in my list of "must-watch" movies, heck, it's not even in the list. But that didn't stop me from watching it anyway. Watched it with my mum at GSC IOI Mall as some kind of family activity. Mandarin and Hokkien definitely suit her as the last time I brought her to a Hollywood action movie, she kinda dozed off in the middle. GSC IOI is really like a blast from the past. The disorganized feel and the aged feel of the interior reminded me of the cinemas from my childhood-- Rex and Golden.

I did not watch the first movie, but from what I gather, it's not critical. Same characters, different story. Jack Neo raises many issues that are quite close to home-- toll collection, disillusionment with the government, MLM, business failures, reality TV shows, traffic demerits, ungrateful kids, caring for the elderly and infirm, family ties, brotherly love, living in debt and survival. Veteran Malaysian actress Lai Ming played a central role in the movie, playing the role of the perfect selfless mother and how sacrifies were taken for granted. The scenes of loneliness, despair and pain really touched me. The last I cried was when I came out of the closet. It had nearly forgotten what it felt like to feel tears stream down my face.

Not all doom and despair, true to his style, there is plenty of laughter sprinkled around, not to mention product tie-ins. So blatant. Sometimes it feels like a commercial-- OCBC, Mio TV, Wu Ling, Old Town Kopitiam and some canned green tea. Overall a pretty good movie. Towards the ending, things got a little far-fetched and dramatic, but I guess it's to be expected of Jack Neo. The songs in the movie are also quite good and the lyrics were penned by the director himself. Give it a try.

P.S.: I think Lai Ming won a best supporting actress award for her performance... bravo.

Comments

Unknown said…
laiming's acting was sheer brilliance~ =)

she reminded me so much of my late grandma~
Twilight Man said…
I love all Jack Neo's movies. A Penang Hokkien phor like me would laugh my ass off. When I meet Lai Meng, I will tell her about William's praises!
.:: Ant ::. said…
Chanced upon this movie at my friend's place. Ended up enjoying it, i think bcoz i cld relate to many of the situatins too. :)

Lai Ming's a darling!
Prash said…
never heard of this movie before ~
Medie007 said…
it's still showing?
the lamest movie ever... bleh
Little Dove said…
I heard Jack Neo have submitted her name for Taiwan's Golden Horse Award for Best Supporting Actress(Asia's equivalent of the Oscars).
joshua said…
Lai Ming was the ultimate lah!

"Jiak pa liao bui?" ad infinitum

LOL
Pluboy2 said…
if u can, watch ALL of Jack Neo's movie.. they all have very good moral teachings..

I was so closed to act in one when I was in Singapore.. was a member of raintree house, but i had to decline the role because i was leaving singapore.. if i had stayed on, i'll be in one already :)
Anonymous said…
awful show ...

I cant stand that part when Jack Neo parted 150K of his money for the futile medical care after the mum died.

how sickening ...

For if he had just spent 10K earlier or just bear some inconveniences the mum may not have died at all

and there are many such upside values being portrayed too

I dunno if these were intended to be ironic, a lampoon of what filial values have become, or just an unthinking, matter of fact depiction of what things are, and unintentionally glorifying them at the same time.

I despise the movie

Popular posts from this blog

Kensei

Osamu or Naoya?

Coat West Star II: Sho