"Honeymoon" Day III: A Grand 'ol Time

The first order of the day was the Grand Palace. A sweltering day to visit it and dressing down wasn't an option due to the dress code, so we had to sweat buckets. It was just as I remember it, just that this time I didn't sneak in as a local. THB300 gets you in to the Grand Palace, Vimanmek Mansion and the Anantasamakom Throne Hall. A perfect place to camwhore and spot sweaty hotties. We visited the Royal Thai Decorations and Coins Pavilion, Phra Siratana Chedi, Phra Mondop, Hor Phra Gandhararat, Temple of the Emerald Buddha (currently in hot season costume) and the Chakri Maha Prasat Hall. Didn't visit everything there as we were kinda eager to leave the heat (Janvier was melting like a Madame Tussaud on a hot plate).

collageGrandPalace2

Lunch was at Fuji, MBK-- the epitome of cheap and delicious Japanase food. For THB220, one can get a bento set with chicken, shrimp, fish, calamari, sashimi, maki, miso soup, omelette, chawanmushi, fruits and coffee! In addition to that, we also ordered salmon belly sashimi and bacon enoki rolls. Definitely value for money. Tried to get a gym bag for KH, but didn't see any suitable bags. Attempted to buy the "Mirrormask" pirated DVD, but failed a second time (first time was also in BKK!). The pirates took 15 minutes to get me the disc and when KH opened the sleeve, it was "American Crude". They refunded my money. I memang takde jodoh with that movie. Ended up at the Big C buying some local products.

collageGrandPalace3

Headed back to the hotel for our spa at the Royal Natural Spa. Came upon it by accident while walking to the Sam Yan MRT station the day before. The gold exterior and classy interior caught our eyes, but the 50% renovation promotion convinced us to try. Initially wanted to try Bangkok Oasis Spa or Hapa Spa, but the price and distance deterred us. Anyway, it was a good choice. Recently re-opened after an extensive renovation and rebranding from a traditional massage parlour to a contemporary spa. SK took the thai traditional massage with herbal compress, whereas KCK, KH and I took the body scrub and aromatherapy body massage package. Never have I been given the choice of massage oils and scrub. Customers can choose from Peppermint and Orange ("for Asian Men", I dunno why this was repeated many times), Lavendar, Balsam or Jasmine oil. 6 choices for scrubs-- red wine, mangosteen, peach, etc.

CollageMBKFuji

KH and I took the couple's room. Normally in Malaysia, they ask you to change into disposable underwear, but Royal Natural uses a sort of cotton fibre seamless trunk that is very sheer-- but it is for practical reasons. Before beginning, we were given a sea salt foot scrub in hot lemongrass-infused water with rose petals and kafir lime. Then began the mangosteen scrub. It was so relaxing that I fell asleep halfway through. At the end of the scrub, I showered and the lady masseur beckoned me to change into another pair of their scandalous trunks. She held up a towel for me. Was a bit hesitant, but I stripped anyway. After putting on the new pair did I notice that I was facing a mirror. Pengsan... The massage was VERY good. Her strokes were extremely controlled and fluid, incorporating opposite movements and asymmetric patterns on the body. Pressure was applied at all the right spots. And they pay more attention to the buttocks than I'm used to (but I welcome it even if it's from an auntie. :P). The trunks make it easier for them to expose the whole cheek and sometimes they just pull it all the way down. Lastly, we were given hot ginger tea a refreshing plate of fruits. Heavenly.

collageRoyalNaturalSpa

Dinner was at Lek Seafood, just at Chong Nonsi BTS station. A gem of cheap local seafood discovered by SK online. Ordered the Curry Crabs (kinda like Ketam Masak Lemak but with egg, very different, we finished the gravy), Scallops in Red Sauce (very chinese), Steamed Seabass in Lime Juice (we drank up the juice too), Stir-fried Bitter Gourd Shoots (also a first for me, very young), Tom Yam Gung (aroy mak mak) and Pork Ribs in XO Sauce (a little too dry). Washed it all down with some Singha beer. Post-dinner entertainment was an Aquarium Show at Silom Soi, but Team William sat it out. Instead we were shopping at Boots Pharmacy. It amazes me the range of in-house products that it manufactures. From eye gels to corn pads to shower scrubs. I pigged out on the bed with potato chips (the USA ones mind you, not the crap "For Sale in ASEAN Only" variety) and soft-baked cookies. Already the last night and we had to pack our bags...

--- to be continued ---

Comments

Little Dove said…
"And they pay more attention to the buttocks than I'm used to ..."

Is that a hint to KH? ;p
William said…
@Bong:
Thanks. More in my flickr.

@LittleD:
Hehehehe.

@DazedBlu:
Yes, had fun!
Legolas said…
SUSHI!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I LOVE!!!!!!!!!!!
Jason said…
Fuji will be in my makan list (if I'm going there again) :p

Popular posts from this blog

Kensei

Osamu or Naoya?

Coat West Star II: Sho