La Vista Bistro

The dinner for Mother's Day and mum's birthday was held at La Vista Bistro at Plaza TTDI, Taman Tun Dr. Ismail. Not that I heard rave reviews about the place, but I just took a gamble as it was one of the places that my Global Privileges voucher entitled me to 50% off food. :P. If you do a quick search on the net, you won't find many reviews on it because I suspect that it's the new kid on the block. The only useful comment I saw was that it's "house wine (white) sucked". I didn't realize that Plaza TTDI is suc a happening place. It has a covered boulevard concept reminiscent of NZX. Everything is basically white-washed and bathed in hypnotic blue light, with twinkly little lights overhead. Mostly occupied by night spots and restaurants, the patrons seem to consist primarily of the employees from nearby offices like Schlumberger and VADS. Too bad IBM had moved or it would be an even more "happening" place.

The restaurant is quite small really and the decor is nothing to comment about, but I must say that the food is good. Thanks to the sauces really. Since my brother is the authority on ang moh food, we let him do the ordering (and most importantly he was paying, :P). The dinner consisted of:
  1. Beef Carpaccio-- Thin slices of beef topped with portabello mushrooms, cheddar cheese and rocket. Citrus-y and fresh.
  2. Pan-fried Foie Gras with Marinated Portobello-- The portion of foie gras is not as generous as you will get at Le Bouchon, but it is as mouth-watering. The bed of mushrooms at the bottom are also very flavourful.
  3. Fried Calamari-- A "safe" dish ordered for the benefit of my bro-in-law. The salsa-like dip was delicious.
  4. Roasted Cod Fish-- their signature dish, very good. The texture of the fish was to die for.
  5. Linguine con L'Anatra Di Arrosto-- Duck breast in pasta. Never had a duck dish that spoke to me.
  6. Linguine Carbonara-- My brother commented that it's good as the creaminess wasn't over-powering. I never really liked carbonara.
  7. Sea Bass-- Not as nice as the cod (cod is cod!), but quite interesting with tangerines and lemons.
  8. Lamb Chops-- Ordered it medium well but the meat was a bit tough. Average.
  9. Panna Cotta-- My brother's favourite. I never quite liked it. But the consistency is unlike those you normally see at hotel buffets.
  10. Homemade Tiramisu-- Not on par with the one at Alexis, but an admirable attempt.
  11. Banana Flambe with Crepe-- Nothing special really, the name says it all. My mum makes a better crepe. :P. But I'm a sucker for cooked bananas.

Dinner was accompanied by a bottle of Pinot Noir that was quite good. The bill for the night came to about MYR350 after discount. I definitely recommend the place if you have the money to spend. But just be warned that the portions are not for gourmands.

collageLaVista1

Comments

Jaded Jeremy said…
The duck dish spoke to you?! What the...
Cheryl said…
DEAR, how u can remember all the dishes name? Geng! I ni makan masuk perut dah :P hehehe
Anonymous said…
Food glorious food.

Anyway,you should make a trip to East Malaysia one of these days. How can we be Malaysian when we don't even know our brothers and sisters across the South China Sea.

Holler me if you wanna good deal on traveling to Sabah!
William said…
@JJ:
Sounds like Donald Duck too. But I said "didn't" la.

@Cheryl:
Got online menu ma. :P

@KLF:
Seafood!

@QUeerR:
Suruh Leesh bagi susu ibu. :P
Cheryl said…
Pandai Hang! Tak terfkir pun.
Whisper said…
Hi Will,

In the pic of four Mains, what's the upper right dish? The one with a large rocket and a dark base?
Is that the foie gras dish?
William said…
@Cheryl:
Of cuz!

@Whisp:
Hi! Yes, you're right. The base is made up of the shrooms.

Popular posts from this blog

Kensei

Osamu or Naoya?

Coat West Star II: Sho