Pelanduk

Recently, I've been going through a rough patch at work. I'm still in deep shit. And you know what, the effluent is up to my nose. There is a chinese saying that best describes my current status: Attacked from ten sides. Yes, the workplace gang rape of sorts. These are days when the phone doesn't stop ringing, the e-mails don't stop coming and the problems don't stop popping up. Mutiple sites. Multiple environments in one site. Ad hoc demos. Politics in the office. Resource constraints. Pressure from the management. Double shifts. Felt like I was being pulled apart. Too much on my plate. No focus. And good help is hard to come by these days. But I'm grateful for whatever I have right now. Can only hope that I'll emerge from this stronger. And I noticed that my social life is kinda zilch at the moment. Does this mean that it's time for a promotion? Heh. No interest in that. Being caught in the between elephants like the proverbial pelanduk is definitely no fun.

Management A: When are you coming back here?

Management B: Looks like you'll have to support the team until late today.


A won't talk to B. B has more power than A. A and B are just looking after their own asses. So me being C, actually si kiau kiau in the middle. :(. I have expressed displeasure to my immediate supervisor:

"Why am I wasting my time here when we very well know that this client is not interested to purchase our product? I have more pressing matters to attend to. Sigh. But at least things will blow over after 20 something."

(20 something was actually referring to the demo date, but my boss thought I was talking about pay day and the rumoured pay rise)

"Errr, matters of money is serious. Will have to talk it through with higher management."

(The fatty actually thought I was asking for more money!!!)

"Aiyoh. I'm not asking for money la. If I want more, I'd ask from my future employer."


SK thought that my final statement was very blunt. Later in the day, my techical manager called, reassuring me that there would be a pay rise and "important" staff would be rewarded accordingly. Heh. Talk about accidentally dropping hints! Will their money be a big enough carrot? We shall see...

Comments

Jaded Jeremy said…
Once, I did say to my ex-senior manaager that if company do not adjust employee benefits (upon passing professional exam) equitably, I would go to elsewhere that does. Next day, poblem solved :-) Of course such bravado was helped by the fact I was ready to leave that company the moment the poverbial straw broke my back.

Now William, in your case, key question is: is the original problem solved?
Katetricia said…
interesting topic

wondering how jaded_jeremy open up the conversation.

but yeah, William, is the original problem solved?
Unknown said…
If they are willing to give you a pay rise, then they must value you a lot. Haha.
Little Dove said…
Hope they give you a BIG carrot for overworking you. It's long overdue. :)
savante said…
Aiks. Been having that problem at work this month as well. thank God may is just around the corner.
Cheryl said…
bagi byk pun tak dpt ubati hati dan badan dear yang letih lesu. But ... better than work hard but no high increment. lagi tak balance. hehe... so.. treat me when the increments comes :P
William said…
@JJ: @Kate:
The problem is still there lor. :(

@DaoHui:
But the price is still not right. :P

@LittleD:
Actually it's for my medical expenses. :P

@Savante:
You too? What's in May?

@Cheryl:
Yeah, better than nothing. Am grateful lo.
Lifebook said…
dinner!! free dinner!!! when is your raise??

Popular posts from this blog

Kensei

Osamu or Naoya?

Coat West Star II: Sho