Kampar


collageKampar
Swiped from williamnyk.
It has been years since I've actually went for Ching Ming. Think I've only done it twice when I was a kid. Have vague memories of running around my grandfather's grave (sometimes on, cucu celaka) and eating roasted pork after burning hell money. This year, my mum decided that we should visit the columbarium holding my uncle's and grandma's ashes in Kampar. I had not been there since my uncle's death years ago. So, mum, SK and I drove down on Sunday to Kampar. SK was nicely speeding at 140km/h. Hopefully there were no speed traps. We stopped by at Bidor to buy food offerings and have breakfast. The food was really disappointing. Seems that Bidor-ians like to eat dry yellow noodles. Ergh. Reached the columbarium at around 11:00am and I thought that things would be much simpler since it wasn't a graveyard, but boy, how wrong I was.

After pulling into the parking lot, could alreday see the hustle and bustle, smoke and ashes, fire and brimstone! People crowding people. Food offerings piled over food offerings (chicken rice seems like a popular choice), joss sticks and candles fingting for real estate. After years at the church, mum and I were really shocked by the scene. We quickly burnt the joss sticks and hurried up the pagoda to look for my late uncle's "unit". It was smoky even inside due to heavy duty burning happening right at the doorstep. After that, we found a little spot on the altar outside where we could put the offerings and lit the rest of the joss sticks and candles (aku kena bakar trying to find a spot!). Chaos! Mum quipped:

"Aiyah, no need to put all la. So much food. Can share-share. Here like buffet style."

Quickly left the place and headed to Kampar town for lunch. Had the supposedly famous Yau Kee herbal chicken in bread at one of their "resellers". Horrible place. Dirty. Bad service. And it was cold.

"Wah, if each of the bread must heat up then mah I very not free?!"

To cool down, we had the ABC at Foong Mun Kee. Quite nice and refreshing. Seems that the duck rice is also fanous, but we didn't try it. No pics, and I doubt I could make them look tasty through the camera anyway.

Comments

Pike-chan said…
kampar!!! so many memories... so many nostalgic moments... so many laughters and tears... wu wu wu wu

:p .. u can jz ignore me... some words jz trigger it... lolx
Cheryl said…
forget not my poor umbrella yang kena curi! tak bertamadun betul
William said…
@Pikey:
**hugs**

@Cheryl:
Forgot to lodge a police report.

@IkanB:
Not Bidor meh?

Popular posts from this blog

Kensei

Osamu or Naoya?

Coat West Star II: Sho