Harajuku Tea


collage7
Swiped from williamnyk.
I've been working on a Saturday again. And boy, it ain't pretty. The heatwave's here again (together with the durians) and as usual, the office is without air-conditioning. After enduring a stifling, gummy 6 hours in the office, I'm now down with a low grade headache. Ugh. Out of the blue, DanielH called me for a meet up and I agreed. Lucky for me to catch him as it was his first off day in a month. He picked me up from Taman Bahagia LRT and we proceeded to The Teapot Place at SS2 after a fruitless discussion on a venue. I'm a Libran, so sue me. :P. A quaint place. No points for guessing that they serve specialty teas there. The interior is very English and woody, with most of the wall space taken up by shelves and shelves of teapots. Shaped like houses, dinner tables, sewing machines, castles, clocks, modern teapots, antique teapots, oriental teapots, mini teapots, you name it, they have it. They even have a teapot mosaic on the floor outside.

We walked in at around 5:30pm and there was already healthy crowd inside. The first thing that caught DanielH's eye was a bunch of "Harajuku Girls" having a tea party at the far end of shop with their more "normal" friends. Kinda like a scene from Alice in Wonderland, only without the Mad Hatter. The other characters were there though. Haha. Most of them wore hats and pinafore-like dresses. Bows, frills and lace. Goodness. One of them reminded me of Anne from Green Gables. The same trainwreck material. I couldn't help but stare. DanielH suggested that I surreptitiously take photos of the gang on my to the loo, but I think I can't carry off a look with a Vivienne Westwood spy camera tote.

Disturbing as it looked, they did stir up some feelings in me to don a bonnet and call myself "Little Bo Peep". Juuuusst a bit. Anyway, to the food. I ordered an interesting dish of Fillet of Sole. Not a shoe sole, but sole fish. It's basically a baked fish fillet spinach roll, served with salad and potato salad in a rich cream sauce. The fish was nice, flaky and the potato salad was quite good really, but overall, the dish was a little
too creamy for me. DanielH ordered a slice of blueberry pie and a pot of Whittard Apple Crumble Tea. The tea was quite interesting with scents of apple (duh!) and an aftertaste of banana. They actually bring a whole bunch of samples to the table so that you can choose. And sniff. And choose some more. And sniff some more. The next time I go there, I'll try the Italian Almond. Fair price. Decent ambience. Interesting menu. Give it a try. Who knows, you might catch a sighting of the rare "Tea Party Harajuku Girls".

"Would you like some more tea for you, Polly Prissy Pants?"
-- Eric Cartman, South Park Episode 113

Comments

Vengelyne said…
Ooh ooh ooh... I see Anne of Green Gables in your photos. :P

Teapot Place is the one facing the main road? I kept getting the impression they serve nothing but tea there. Maybe because of its name and also the fact that it's quite quaint-looking.
adrien said…
on the other hand, you'll often encounter japanese housewives at Winter Warmers. it's a cult i tell you.
Alex said…
That's a memorable Cartman's quote you have there! I still remember how gay it was!
savante said…
Bet you they'd agree to pose if you asked to tke their pictures!
William said…
@Venge:
Yeah, that's the one. Give it a try. The food selection is not too shabby.

@Alex:
Haha, yeah! Loved that scene.

@Savante:
Too scared!
William said…
@Adrien:
Will try the potato salad at Winter Warmers. DanielH says it's good.

Popular posts from this blog

Kensei

Osamu or Naoya?

Coat West Star II: Sho