Matthew & Jessica


Photo-0069
Swiped from williamnyk.
Of course you're all wondering, "Who the fuck is Matthew?!". Well, Matthew is an ex-colleague of mine and I must say that we had kinda lost contact with each other, these past years. We do see each other on our MSN Messenger contact lists, but we never say, "Hi!" or the other generic tegur sapa variants. So, when the other day I suddenly received a missed call from him and a message in my chatbox, I thought to myself, "He's getting married". And it turns out he was. We later arranged for a lunch meet and he passed me the "Red Bomb". Tai Thong Tropicana. Lunch. Wait a minute..... Turns out that he failed to book dinner, so lunch it had to be (wedding lunches normally happen in small towns, but a Shanghai local told me that in China, first wives have their banquets during the day time, whereas concubines have them at night. o.O). It's kinda a blessing actually, I've never been to Tropicana and driving in the night would have been worse with my sense my of direction as screwed up as my moral compass. Should get myself a compass like Jack Sparrow's. I got some useful directions and landmarks from Savante and Takashi. Thanks guys, but I later found that the there was a detailed map at the back of the invitation. :P.

To make it to the wedding, I joined the 9:00am mass. That ended at 10:00am. I waited for a friend until 10:30am. Had 2 more hours to kill, so I went to SS24 for breakfast at 11:00am, knowing that weddings never start on time. Never. Never. Never. Bought a magazine. Bought 4D (Mel's bumper scrape). Read papers and the mag in the car. Beh tahan liao. Nothing to do, headed off at 11:30am. I reached the place at 11:45am after navigating the freakingly posh homes of the rich and famous. Nearly jumped outta my car and put on my Robin Leach impersonation. I sat at the parking lot for 15 minutes before going in. I was the first guest of the groom. A great honour. I got to bore myself outta my skull. Had the privilege to see the crockery still being wheeled out. The multimedia show being set up. Sienz. Matthew was glib enough to say, "Why you so early? I said 12:30pm mah...". Kanasai, lunch only started at 1:45pm. Food wasn't exceptional, but I liked the steamed patin and the crispy-skinned chicken. But the speed at which the food came out was amazing.

This was my second Tai Thong wedding and I must say that the service sucks in comparison. Form 3 kids and migrant workers. But even the captain also pengz. Have you ever seen a banquet where the groom is left to take care of the champagne fountain. No help at all. They just stand there watching him fumble with the thing. A lousy emcee as well. The whole function had quite a few other hiccups as well. When the bride and groom walked in before the first dish was served, all the lights were turned off. However, there was no mist, let alone a spotlight. If it was dinner time, there would have been nothing to see. And the toast was kinda screwed up. "Yummmmmmm... seng". With the "seng" going splat. Hahaha. Anyway, the pastor introduced a real eye-opening alternative, "Blehhhhh..... sing!". Lame. Haha. Overall a very quiet wedding. Very low key. Hardly boisterous. And towards the end, the couple didn't have enough time to bid all the guests farewell as their table to table toasting started late.

There's always something to bitch about at wedding banquets.... or perhaps it's just that I always have something to bitch about. Anyway, best wishes of wedded bliss to Matthew and Jessica.

Comments

Pike-chan said…
oh well.... i only been to Tropicana Tai Thung once and it was kinda normal... but then the houses.. whoa.... wonder when i can own one... everyday looking out from the office window into the Tropicana houses below.. hahahahaha... and the golf course too.
Vengelyne said…
Tai Thong Tropicana's food is ok to me. Halal mah... what more can I expect, right?

Where do you find the muse to blog, btw? My inspiration has long ran dry.
Magus Young said…
thank god some us don't need to go through the "conventional matrimonial" procedures. ewww spare us the headache...

DQ
Ganymede said…
Wedding receptions... Don't like... Unless its someone else's other than family members. :P
adrien said…
well at least you've got the whole yam seng chinese tradition hoo ha's goin on. malay weddings are even more of a bore. most of the time attended for the glorious food, its somewhat a waste of time for me, as i was never the gluttonous one to begin with.

Popular posts from this blog

Kensei

Osamu or Naoya?

Coat West Star II: Sho