BKK Detour 1


Queer Graffiti
Swiped from elmada.
Note: Dear readers, this is just some random observation from my trip that would not fit to well in my daily vacation report.

After spending 6 days in Bangkok I've come to notice something that I missed while I was there for 5 weeks, 3 years back. The Thai seem to have a thing for phallic symbols. They come in all shapes and sizes (as do the real thing, hehe), from the obscenely large to easy-carry versions. Mostly, I've seen them carved from wood, but the smaller versions can also be found cast from metal (with extra dragon motif). At first, I thought them dildos, until I started seeing them all over the place-- from taxi dasboards to altars to food stall counters to keychains. Frankie even tells me that are tied to waist like an amulet. As far as I can tell, it has some kind of religious significance. They seem to be revered. I can see garlands of flowers placed over them. Some even have inscriptions and gold leaf. And for those on the altar, it doesn't take a genius to figure out that it's being worshipped. Should've gotten some mini-sized ones as souveniers, but I wonder if I'd have gotten stopped at immigration for trying to bring in sex toys. Oh well.

Comments

Pluboy2 said…
ffrom experience tells me that thai immigration dont care what you bring out of their country, but once at malaysia immigration, make sure you buy liqour or ciggrattes, because that's all the malaysian customs want to know..

if u didnt buy either one, then they will try to find things from your luggage.. hence, if u smuggle in sex-related things, u kena laa...

if u buy liqor or cigg, put it on ur trolley as u pass by them, show them..

they will ask u where you depart from (especially when a few flights landed about the same time)... just say ... Encik, tak ada beli apa-apa. jalan jalan saja... tapi sini ada beli arak/rokok la..

most of the time, u'd pass freely.. and SPEAK MALAY!!! :) or juz hold ur passport proudly!! i noticed at immigrations, they are more lenient to returning malaysians who are "honest" and show that they got buy liqour/cigg..

juz from my experience at both klia and johor immigrations..
Ganymede said…
There's always your pockets to put the dildos in it. ;P

Or put the fake one next to your real one. :P
Anonymous said…
If I'm not mistaken, the phallic symbols are revered as a sign of fertility. At a temple I saw a rock carving that resembles a phallus, and wannabe mothers can go there to pray.

But it probably has a different connotation if a guy was carrying that :P
Pluboy2 said…
zemien: of cos it a different thing for a guy to carry that .. hehe.. i would look surprised too if i see one carrying that KEKE...

frankie: hehe.. no body is as smart as you as having two bulges :)
William said…
@PluB:
Thanks for the tip le. Very experienced. What have you smuggled over?!?

@Defiant:
Errmm...

@Zemien:
I'll stick with the one that my parents gave me. :P

Popular posts from this blog

Kensei

Osamu or Naoya?

Coat West Star II: Sho