Spring


collage
Swiped from williamnyk.
I remember reunion dinner to be a real big affair when I was a kid. Every, my family would travel hundreds of miles from Kuantan to Teluk Intan to congregate at my late uncle's place. My late grandmother also was also living with him at that time. At my end, it was us tiga adik-beradik, whereas I had another 5 cousins. We'd tear up the house each day. Played with thunder kings, moon travellers, red crackers and sparklers. Ah, those were the days when you could legally blow up stuff. Lion dance performances were so much livelier with red crackers. All the elders would be busy preparing food and performing religious ceremonies that were of little interest. Would stay up late to welcome the God of Fortune. Mandarin oranges and peanuts everyday until you felt like puking.

Come reunion dinner, All the grown ups would sit at one table, while the kids at another. All would sit down to a big meal. As the years passed, most of my cousins got married and eventually had kids. Their branch of the family extended very much, causing logistical problems in lodging and such. So, as the years went by, we eventually didn't join them for reunion dinner anymore. Fast-forward today, reunion dinner is just a 3 person affair- me, myself and my mum. However, it's no less meriah. Bountiful food this year. Mum outdone herself with lotus root soup, fried pomfret, mixed vegetables with abalone slices, ginger duck stew, drunken prawns, coral lettuce salad and steamed salt chicken. And I bought yee sand from C-Jade Express. Food was accompanied by a bottle of Shiraz. It's quite amazing that we actually nearly downed everything.

After all that food, I was sleepy as hell, but my mother wouldn't allow that, she's put us to tasks immediately after dinner. Got the car washed, the floor mopped and the porch cleaned. My mother is very cunning in getting things done. I knew I'd have to do those chores, but I told her to let me rest for just 30 minutes after the heavy. She'll just ignore my plea, and just get to work on her own knowing full well that I would not allow her to do it alone. Why la... Just complain a bit. :P.

So far, a very fulfilling CNY. Didn't really get to rest. Meeting up friends and loved ones nearly every day. Sleeping at ungodly hours. Getting up early. And yet, I feel kinda energetic and fresh. This year is different. This year is very different.

HAPPY CNY!!!

collage1

Comments

Anonymous said…
haha.. at least a good cny means a good calender year ahead? glad that you had a fun-filled cny. when gonna round up the rest and makan2? thought wanna ask KK, Clarence and you to Malacca st restaurant.. boleh makan sampai mampus.. :):)
Little Prince said…
what's yee sand?
something better than yee sang?
servered with sand huh...
Sounds like a wild dinner, and yes moms are always the best at getting work out of people.
R said…
i wld agree wit u.. it does seems that whenever we grow older, CNY just gets.. less meriah... ain't it?
Pluboy2 said…
cny wif friends mroe meriah mar..

and.. william.. u din mention abt ur dad?
just me said…
May "golden pig" bring you all your heart's desires this year
William said…
@Mel:
Tak jadi... :(

@Daniel:
"Servered with sand". Mr Typo ni...

@R2k:
Mums are the original slave drivers.

@Robb:
Scary to think that the older we get, the less fun we seems to derive from the simple things in life.

@Takashi:
Told u about my dad already hor...

@JustMe:
Same to you! Happy CNY.

Popular posts from this blog

Kensei

Osamu or Naoya?

Coat West Star II: Sho