Ring Finger


Rings
Swiped from williamnyk.
Ever since my home was burgled 2 years back (due to some negligence on our part and shoddy contruction), my mother has had an epiphany regarding jewellery and keeping valuebles at home. Although I was the biggest victim (lost some USD, IDR, MYR and my bro-in-law's handphone) and my mother only lost some worthless costume jewellery (which the burglar promptly dumped n the vacant house next door after he found out their true "value"), she never-the-less came up with a philosophy that buying jewellery is useless. If your jewellery is showy, you dare not wear it out for fear of snatch thieves. If you buy it and keep it under the mattress, you can't show it off and there is a chance that burglars will cart it away (even safes are no deterrent -- stories of thieves moving 50kg safes from 14th floor balconies, forcefully removing ATM machines, drilling into bank safety deposit box rooms even). It seems futile, but moderation is the key here. She decided it's better to wear the less fancy stuff than just let it sit in safety depost boxes. As a result of this policy, she asked me to wear her gold engagement band. It felt awkward at first having something on my finger but after a while, I got used to it. Later, JM and SK even bought me a silver band and I wear both now.

During the early days when I started wearing rings, I attracted much attention from friends and colleagues. For a good fit, I wore the gold band on my middle finger and it immediately caught the attention of my boss.

"Oi, William engaged ar?"
"Yalor, yalor!"

My colleagues happily obliged by feeding my boss false information and it did get a little bit out of hand. And coincidentally, I left for Jakarta for a month during that time and my users thought that I went off for a honeymoon in Bali. Sheesh. I got sick and tired of the questions so I moved the ring to my index finger.

"Ei, why you wear your ring there?"
"Why? Cannot ar?"
"It means DESPERATELY looking for someone ler..."
"Oh goodie!"

Now, I don't give a rat's ass. I wear my rings where I like them.

PS: Safety tip-- never store valuebles in your room. It's the first place burglars will look. It's safer dumping your stuff under the kitchen sink, but it runs a higher risk of you accidentally throwing your valuebles away!

Comments

Anonymous said…
thats so rite, its not safe wearing any chains, earrings and such...i tooks off all my bling2 and had people comment why am I not wearing any gold/and such..i'm sure Will you know why... anyways, ahem ahem... its 4 more days... woo hoo!
Vengelyne said…
I don't like jewelery of any sort. I only buy the costume earrings to match the colour of my clothings whenever I go out.

The real deal are kept inside velvet pouches and hidden in drawers. Why draw the unnecessary attention?

I was mugged once while jogging in the morning and all I had was a necklace made out of shiny worthless crystals, but I only wore them due to religious reasons. I doubt they'd even be worth RM2 out in the open market. Good for those 3 muggers.
ikanbilis said…
under the sink? now thats a really good idea!!!
Mr RM said…
u can try storing in the store-room or attic, it works too....

somehow being burgled is one of my greatest fears... and somehow having an alarm system doesnt really helps...
MrBunnyBan said…
Heh. So the real solution is to ask the non-snatch theifable son to wear the rings? I can just imagine the robber armedwith a chopper coming for your finggies.
William said…
@Mel:
Removing all bling2 when nearing your when nearing your birthday will not get you any bling2. Haha.

@Venge:
It's scary to think that nearly all the girls I know have been mugged or snatched. My point exactly, no point having the real deal if we can only put it in a drawer somewhere, or worse stolen by thieves from your bank safe deposit box. :D

@IkanB:
In the toilet!

@Searcher:
I think the store room is quite a common place. As for the attic, if they enter through the roof.... Haha.
Derek said…
Hmm, what's happening in 3 days? Your big day? ;P

Erm ... did you just say brother-in-law? Didn't know you have one.

Oh, I don't really like gold. I'm too young for it LOL
William said…
In 3 days, a good friend of mine turns 26 years "OLD". Hehe. She's giggling like a school girl because she's anticipating her gifts.

Yeah, my sister is married.

Getting old before my time?! Anyway, you're just one year younger than me. :P
Jaded Jeremy said…
Ooooh I need to get a ring for my index finger.

Popular posts from this blog

Kensei

Osamu or Naoya?

Coat West Star II: Sho