A Wedding in June or a Whale Meat Harpoon?


Rose Petals & Tea
Originally uploaded by williamnyk.
Over the weekend, I attended my ex-housemates' wedding. The apostrophe is not in the wrong place. I know both of them from Jakarta. It was held at Crown Princess Hotel, Jalan Ampang. Dinner was to start at 7:30PM, and I only left at 7:25PM. You know what, I made it there before 8:00PM. And as expected, dinner only started at 8:30PM. So, being fashionably late paid off. Before I get any angry tirades about the vicious cycle of tardiness among KL folks in making it to wedding dinners, I waited for my ride since 6:30PM.

On to the review- the place is quite nice. Each table was strewn with rose petals. Normally, I see that on the floor, but hey, anything goes. Its staff is attentive. The food is of hotel standard, but I think the happy couple chose an above average dinner set. Among the items were a lobster starter (complete with exoskeleton), shark fin with scallops, cod fish and sea cucumber. Wine was flowing freely. I think around 80 colleagues turned up, so it kinda looked like my company's annual dinner. The colleagues were more worked up than the relatives. Throw in liquor into the equation...... you can imagine the rest. It seems that it's the season to get married. With the 7th lunar month (and the 7th leap lunar month) a distant memory and the 8th month in full swing, people are rushing to get hitched. I hear stories of 4 wedding invitations in a week and back-to-back banquets. One can only go through so many chinese wedding banquets . And with red packets involved, one can easily lose the shirt off one's back. Better start setting up a fund.....

PS: The title of this post makes no sense. I remember it vividly as a joke from the show "Hey Vern, it's Ernest!". Ernest was showing off show pretty funky hairdos.

Comments

Vengelyne said…
I attended 2 weddings on 2 Saturdays back-to-back. The one held at Mandarin Oriental was serving more expensive food compared to the one in the Tai Thong restaurant, but the latter whipped up more tasty dishes.

I got 1 more wedding to attend in November. 2 of the 3 weddings these 2 months are friends who are of the same age as I. Should I feel pressured for not being able to jump into the bandwagon like the rest of 'em?
thompsonboy said…
I am so happy that I only have fucked up friends - no one wants to get married...
MrBunnyBan said…
Wow. A wedding like that's really got to make a big hole in one's pocket. Someone's trying a little too hard to impress.
Anonymous said…
happy birthday man!!!
William said…
@Venge:
Mandarin Oriental! I'm guessing RM1200 and above per table. Getting knocked up can set the ball rolling. *grin*.

@Daniel:
Civil partnership perhaps?

@Bunny:
The guy can definitely afford to be luxurious. Just might have caught some guests off-guard in regards to the red packet. Heh.

@Lazy:
Too lazy to call!? Haha. Thanks.

Popular posts from this blog

Kensei

Osamu or Naoya?

Coat West Star II: Sho