The Price of Vanity


mask
Originally uploaded by williamnyk.
As I mentioned in my birthday post, SK bought me a facial as a birthday gift. Yes, folks, my face has been de-virginized. She couldn't stand the blackheads that have taken residence on my nose since my adolescence, so she decided to issue an eviction order, by force. Warned of the pain, I was given a small vial of sebum-suppressing gel to use ten days prior to the appointment. Truth be told, I don't think it helped alleviate any of the pain, or maybe I have a low pain threshold. We drove me to South City Plaza and she ushered me into the Cellnique beauty salon. I was told that they normally don't do male clients, but since I'm considered a "trusted" friend of a regular customer (SK), they made an exception. Upon looking at my skin, Janet (the beautician), decided that the "Renewing Facial Package" would be most suitable for my skin. I just, "Uh, OK"-ed since I wasn't paying. Being the uninitiated skin center visitor, I had to be told to remove my sandals and don the one's they provide. They had to tell me how to lie down, yadda-yadda-yadda. SK wondered if I should remove my shirt since for ladies, the treatment usually reaches the shoulder portion. Janet was flabber-gasted: "What do you take me for? I don't do the shoulder area for men. I'm a beautician, not a....". Apparently not a beautician who does the shoulder portion for men. Heh.

The facial consisted of several steps. Some seaweed cleanser, a papaya-pineapple enzyme mask (which was supposed to be tingly, but due to my thick skin, I didn't feel a thing), some AHA thingy that ended with a cooling rub from a pair of mini crystal balls with handles and lastly a purifying mask. The last mask was kinda like a mud mask with gauze over the face and breathing holes so that I don't suffocate under the whole thing. From the pictures, it was kinda like Darth Vader meets Swamp Thing. However, the highlight of the whole treatment, was the manual black head removal. With an evil little metal rod, Janet would prick, poke and scrape her way across nearly every inch of my face. All the while she was talking about how her boyfriend had not talked to her in two days. Damn! I was grimacing the whole time. Brought tears to my eyes, especially when she worked on my nose. I thought she was trying to give me a free rhinoplasty. Goodness. The amount of grime and oil deposits she removed was disgusting. I walked out of the place feeling refreshed, but my face was a bit red and angry. At the office the next day, a colleague remarked:

"Hey Will, what's with the Jackie Chan nose?"

That facial sure paid off.

Comments

MrBunnyBan said…
Heee. My mum used to insist on doing that for me,without all the gunk. I always complained though. :p
Anonymous said…
Heh, your first facial eh? Welcome to the gay men's world of beauty. What is beauty without a little pain? ;P

But in the end, worth it, kan?

Jackie Chan nose ... hehe, hilarious!
thompsonboy said…
I hate blackheads....ughhh!
savante said…
The beauty takes some ime to set in lah. Wait for the redness to wear off and you might look like brad!
Anonymous said…
I have really given much thought to the matter, dont complaint la. Hard to think of good gift. I am not such bitchy and FORCE u for that le...Moo moo cant drink water if he memang tak mahu le heh ;)

No pain,no gain. Now u look like brad (as if la, tak de tu ada Jacky's nose also not bad d) and start flirting at your blog lor...got admire d. Must thank me for that. hmm...Putrajaya Cruise pun jadi la... Thanks in advance haha ;D

Anyway, hopefully this would be a memorable and special gift my dear friend.

P/s: where are those photos and video taken? burn a copy for me le..
William said…
@Bunny:
I'd leave it to the professionals. Hehe.

@Derek:
I wouldn't say it's the domain of gay or straight men. But yes, there is a price for beauty. I did get rid of my blackheads. But I see a hint of revenge.

@TBoy:
I'll introduce you to some whiteheads.

@Savante:
Brad?! After I shed my Appeton Weight Gain poster boy look.

@SK:
Yes, yes. No element of duress. Putrajaya Cruise?! I'll get TBoy arrange it. Photos and videos? I'd not so easily distribute them. Heh.

Popular posts from this blog

Kensei

Osamu or Naoya?

Coat West Star II: Sho