Charter


Storytime
Originally uploaded by Flamejob1.
No matter how tired I am after work, I find that my alertness increases the closer I am to my bedtime (I try to sleep before 1am, but it's usually 12:30-ish). Felines circle the ground the sleep on for a couple of times before dozing off, but I on the other hand like to read. Anything will do, but it's usually books or comics. And I have this habit of re-reading. Recently, I had exhausted my reading material cache, so I had to resort to digging up my boxes (untouched since I moved over from OUG so I practically had to wrestle them from the dust bunnies). I found many issues of graphic novels my brother (my source of reading material as I am too cheap to actually buy books) left behind coz his place was overflowing with stuff. Even his shelves sag in the middle. Good for me. So, I re-read issues of Lone Wolf and Cub, Preacher, Blade of the Immortal, Books of Magic and . But those didn't last me too long, so I actually went out and bought a book-- Lirael by Garth Nix.

A first for me actually. The story is OK, but I find that it's a frankenstein of sorts. Perhaps this is true for all titles. Little bits of stuff I've read here and there. In the centre of it all we have Lirael (duh!), a Daughther of the Clayr (a community of seers) Under-achiever that hasn't come into her power yet. An outcast of sorts among her own people. The world of Lirael consists of The Old Kingdom and Ancelstierre. In Ancelstierre, there's no magic. And the people there are kinda like muggles, like Harry Potter. Magic here is worked via Charter Marks, plucked from a unseen source and strung together. Reminds me of The Wheel of Time's One Power, where magic is worked by weaving threads from an infinite source. The story also includes the undead (main plot from Sabriel), reminscent of Wizard's First Rule's underworld. But then, I guess if one was to draw parallels, there would be much say about all the fantasy titles out there. Different authors, different angles. Sometimes, the same stories. Oh well, anything will do, as long as it puts me to sleep...

Comments

MrBunnyBan said…
Rectified!

...I should sleep. Goodnight!
Vengelyne said…
Ah... I used to read Ian Livingstone and Steve Jackson's books, but those were game books.
William said…
@Bunny:
Eh?

@Venge:
Those books?! I used to have one. Coin tosses, die, goto page XXX. I never finished it.
Vengelyne said…
Yeah, those, but I don't use the dice and paper and pencil thingy. I play cheat. I'd flip to all the pages they tell us to choose 1 from and I'd choose the page which is further from death and with better rewards. Lol.

Popular posts from this blog

Kensei

Osamu or Naoya?

Coat West Star II: Sho