See You in the Water IX, X


Yellow Card
Originally uploaded by regrettheerror.
Although I can do one stroke now, I find that each time I get to the pool, I need to struggle a while before I get the hang of things. The skill is kinda stored in my short term memory. Need to warm up before it all comes back to me. I forget how to breathe. I forget how to move. Maybe once a week is far too big a gap, but scheduling some "me" time to swim can be a bitch at times with shitty work schedules and other commitments. Back to my ninth lesson. Another instructor. Again. Michael this time. The face of Learn2Swim. No swimming this time, but water safety. The ominously named Dead Man's Float. All that keeping bouyant by taking in breaths had me dizzy after 30 breaths or so. In addition, I was taught how to "stand" in the water after floating on one's back. Lastly, was shown the right way to move from face-down to face-up position. Drank some refreshing pool water in the process of getting the hang of it. All of this supposed to come in handy when one get's tired, but for me it seems that remaining afloat still takes some effort. Swim 3 breaths. Face up. Float 5 breaths. Face down. Swim 3 breaths. By the 10th lesson, that was under my belt, inclusive of the yellow card. Next is the back stroke. Was just shown some initial leg movements. Will start next week.

For the last two lessons, I came during the evening session. It really is a different experience swimming at night. Everything is calmer (no bratty kids). And the water looks different with the lights and all. No distractions and one can swim a lap without the risk of crashing into someone else or getting kicked in the face. And no sun-- my skin is grateful. The water's just as warm. Only 2 more lessons to go. Gotta make the best of it or fork out more cash...

Comments

Anonymous said…
woohoo... perhaps a jeffrey ong in the making.. hmm.. so at least when you reflect back at 2006, you can say.."Learned how to swim and managed to stay afloat for a good 10 minutes"..
Vengelyne said…
When I went to Redang a few years ago, the natives there never had swimming lessons from pros unlike you and yet they swim beautifully.

I've seen them diving in without any snorkeling gears and they're able to pick up sea cucumbers from the ocean bed (quite deep, but not that deep) and frighten the girls with 'em.

My point is:
1) You should just move to stay near the seaside or something
2) Take up cheaper swimming lessons from the Redang natives

=P
William said…
@Mel:
Jeffrey Ong?! I wonder what happened to him. I still remember his short stint as the host of a technology show on TV3 with another guy. Oh wait, isn't he dabbling in music now? Oh no, that's Jason Lo. :P

@Venge:
Comparing me to native Redang Mer-People? No contest. FYI, I used to live just 10 minutes from the South China Sea, but I was still clueless. Perhaps they have some minyak gamat that can instantly endow swimming skills...

Popular posts from this blog

Kensei

Osamu or Naoya?

Coat West Star II: Sho