Backward Compatible, not Forward!


menkl
Originally uploaded by williamnyk.
Warning: Irate geek ramblings ahead.

Once again, stupidity has reared its ugly head at one of my client sites. They went ahead and installed a service pack
on the production server without first conducting a thorough test and consulting us. I didn't even know that fact before I got there. The whole day, both of my ears were stuck to a phone supporting and getting pressure from the managers. All my efforts for remote support failed, so I was "convinced" to get my ass down to the site to oversee a restart of the whole system. It was Merdeka eve and it rained during the rush hour, so the trip there was REALLY enjoyable. I made a few wrong turns and it didn't help my current mood. By 10pm, we decided on an interim solution to divert the server traffic. Up till now, my technical manager and I are still looking for a permanent solution.

Lesson learned: An internal HTTPRequest with SSL within a Windows 2003 Server will not work if Service Pack 1a is installed!

But dinner at Buharry's taught me a lesson as well: SMILE UP MAN (chilli sauce message on Pattaya fried rice).

smileupman

PS: Took the picture of Menara KL while on the way home from the whole fiasco....

Comments

Jaded Jeremy said…
*Scribbled down the lesson learned and then wondered whether it'll come to any use.*

Popular posts from this blog

Kensei

Osamu or Naoya?

Coat West Star II: Sho